HELP! Changing my MOS before boot camp but after DEP contract is up!!!
Create Post

HELP! Changing my MOS before boot camp but after DEP contract is up!!!

Ok so i leave to bootcamp Aug.5 (supposed to be July 8 but pushed back for no reason), and i had to pick my mos but i had very little options and none of my 3 choices that i qualified for and that i asked for last October were available and ive been in DEP since Aug 13, 2012. I want infantry but it is full and i chose an open contract hoping maybe infantry would open up (knowing that open is the worst thing you could do), but can i wait until a spot opens up even if that goes past my ship out date? could my recruiter push my ship date back? and if it goes past my DEP 365 days Aug. 13 will i have to re-enlist into meps and wait alot longer before i ship out??(which would make me consider another branch, WHICH IS WHAT I DONT WANT! i want to be a Marine and serve but i also have a life to and cant wait) Also could i just wait until Oct. once all jobs open up??(bt wld go past my DEP 365 days)
    *Recruiter questions, I know, but he has also screwed me over twice already

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Profile completed, thread restored...

If you want to be a Marine, then you will/would wait.

When I went back to the Marines recruiter after not leaving 10 yrs earlier, I felt like you did. Recruiter passing the buck, not listing to me , having every excuse in the world.

I talked to the SNCOIC ( recruiter sent me to his office), I told him about me and what I needed to do. I did everything he asked, took me 2 yrs to do it all.

I then had picked my job, since I was older now (by 11 yrs) I still picked Infantry.

SNCOIC (SSgt is now MGySgt) said what your second and third - Military Police and Intell. He said go MP due to age, I said I first enlisted with the thought of going Infantry and now will be the same ( I chose the same MOS in the mid 80s). I had a new recruiter (Sgt who is now a CWO4) and more waiting but worth it.

So after all that, I went to boot camp, ITB, and 14 other Battalions in the Corps as a GRUNT!

So if you want it, go get it. I did not chose the Army to go Infantry or any other service. I wanted to be Marine and before I got too old to not get in, I went and completed my mission.

My wait was 12 yrs, you can wait two months.

S/F,
    CEYA!

I am not a recruiter (never been) but I believe after the 365 days you will be discharged from the DEP. Whether they let you back in or not is a gamble (they don't have to you know). Even if they do, waiting longer and getting infantry is also a gamble. Recruiting is not like it used to be; they do not need you because the USMC is getting smaller. There are more qualified applicants today than there are openings. Your options are to accept the open contract MOS offered to you and ship or get discharged and hope for the best. Since your recruiters are screwing you over, I say go talk to the Army recruiter because they would never do such a terrible thing (USAF and USN different story). Let us know what you do.

Credits
    Savings
    ROD...
    I'm an old crank , and really don't care one way or the other.
    BUT the advise that was just given to you in the last two postings
    cover the whole spectrum, END TO END...

Most of us, have been where you are and find it difficult to tell
    you what is the correct decision "FOR YOU." We can only
    tell you what we've done and how it worked for us...
    EXCEPT for us Marines who enlisted before the Military
    became PROFESSIONALS and us old fogies never
    had guaranteed MOS's or fields of training...

You're in a stage of your life that you are going to have
    to make the decision .....which way..........

Good Luck

THank you for your response. nd Yeah I figured i would get discharged. I will just go through these next 2 months hoping a slot opens, but like you said it would be a gamble if i try to re-enlist. To me it will come to the last few weeks on what i decide.

Thank you all for your answers. Ill just hope my final 2 months, continue to talk to my recruiter, and then make a decision.

Thread Information