Proud dad but ashamed of hiself
Create Post

Proud dad but ashamed of hiself

My son Ian is cuently at MCT west and I am hearing of paerents getting background checks on there Marines, and family.
    My BIG worry is if my past could hurt my son. I am an alcoholic 13 years sober but had 3 DUIs which got me a felony DUI charge. I have always hoped my past would never come back and bite my kids in the @$$ because it was not their fault.
    They have become great kids despite my past, and in a small town that meens alot.

Similar Threads:

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I also have 3 DWI's. Been sober 8 years now. What I see.....is a man of character, who has kicked an addiction in the azz. No matter the outcome, your children should be proud of your honesty. Also, great kids, find a way to achieve....reguardless of what they have to stumble over.

Credits
    Savings
    Used to be something to brag about wasn't it ???

Now days , everyone so PC,,,maybe you worry..

Not much difference between you an Alky- and me a Drunk.
    except that i don't have to worry about missing meetings.................

You're NORMAL lad...
    Get over it.....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    21-years sober myself. Like my brother Mongoose said, be proud that you kicked the addiction in the azz.

Your background should have little reflection on your son. If you had been selling secrets to the Russians - yeah, then there might be a problem. Is he going to have a top secret clearance? If not, no worries at all.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Mister Walk Tall your in Giant Country, I just went back too WIS CON SIN to face a 2nd DUI could have paid the Fine but did my 45 days on Pod 3A-AKA Psych CellBlock!
    Could have not gone back and take my medicine and looked in the Rear View mirror all the days of the rest of My Life! But my Cover goes off too Yah, just think of all the Young Men and Women who wish they had a Dad like YOU! You should be proud Mister and GoodLuck on your Sobriety, as Far as being concerned about your Past no need to worry there have been Presidents of the United States whom were Drug Addicts and Lied about it! Semper Fi Oh Godspeed to your Son also. Respectfully Jack G-Man

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I take my cover off to all of you that faced this demon head on and won the fight.

Parenthood does not come with a manual. We do the Best we can. There is no substitute in my humble opinion for the Love and Support we can give our children.

March forward, one day at a time...

All Marines undergo a background investigation, and your past will not affect his ability to receive a favorable adjudication on his investigation. Your courage to turn from the sins of your past is surely an inspiration for your son to aspire to make you proud of his achievement of becoming a United States Marine. We all have our demons...as you reflect on your past, encourage your son to be the best he can be.

I want to thank everyone that has posted a reply. I have heard about these checks and started to worry.
    After Ians graduation I saw a drive in him to be the best Marine he could be. When he started boot camp he said he wanted to make it a career, I asked him after if he still felt the same. His answer was still yes but with a conviction I had never seen before, and he wrestled in high school.
    So I just did not want my screw ups to be his.
    Thank You all for your support

Thread Information