Need hindsight on decision between USMC and apprenticeship
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Need hindsight on decision between USMC and apprenticeship

As they say, hindsight is 20/20. Usually I don't have a hard time making important decisions, but I have been completely deadlocked for years on this one. It's not a technical right or wrong question, but one where I need info to adjust my perspective before one or the other becomes a more obvious choice.

As of now, I have an guaranteed opportunity to complete an apprenticeship as a welder. Many people say I am good at it and I like it.

On the other hand, it has been my dream for many years to sweat and sacrifice in team combat fueled by a higher standard of training. I trained for the SEALs for several months until work demands and my lack of pool access put an axe in that (I know, mr. 1000 excuses). My desire to do something in that breadth of action is like a weed... no matter how many times I think it's out of my system and I'm moving on to more "civil" opportunities the desire just grows back all the same.

The itch simply will not go away. I have begun training with my sights set on 0311. Am I making a mistake? I only have "hindsight" from career welders, not Marines, and, like anyone, want to make the most reasoned decision.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Only thing I will say is you could join the Corps as an infantryman and may never see "action" or combat.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    Only thing I will say is you could join the Corps as an infantryman and may never see "action" or combat.
    Thank you for your apt and realistic advice, Marine. Although going into the 0300 field I think I should be prepared to endure combat, but I understand statistically it is unlikely at this point in time. In my entirely inexperienced and therefore empty opinion on the matter, it is not my duty to put my boots on the ground, just to put my feet in the boots. Better yet, the benefit of not seeing combat is that a body would be in better shape for re-enlist in the infantry field, if one were given the opportunity and so inclined to do so.

Thank you again, Marine. I had suspected that but did not want to presume it to be the case. I will definitely weigh this fact into the decision.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The only thing I can say for sure is that you are going to be 27 years old this year.

If you don't decide soon if the Military is what you want, you might not have a say in it at all.

Best of luck to you.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    The only thing I can say for sure is that you are going to be 27 years old this year.

If you don't decide soon if the Military is what you want, you might not have a say in it at all.

Best of luck to you.
    Thank you for bringing this up, Marine, I appreciate this more than I could say. It is a factor I hadn't fully considered and really puts this in perspective in life since this is something I will never have the opportunity to do later. I don't mean to be anticlimactic, but joining is the obvious decision for me considering what you just said.

My only question now is, how does this cut-off apply. I will turn 28 on November 26, 2014, and I will be 29 on November 26, 2015. What event (swearing in, first day of boot camp, ?) needs to happen before which of these birthdays? From there I can work backwards and create a timeline to stake early preparations.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I would go see a Marine Recruiter ASAP.

That way he/she can lay it all out for you since you will most likely be in the DEP for awhile.

Credits
    Savings
    I would go see a Marine Recruiter ASAP.

That way he/she can lay it all out for you since you will most likely be in the DEP for awhile.
    Understood, I will do that.

This thread can be closed. Thank you again, Marines.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You joined the forum 2 days ago.
    How do you know that terminology here about closing a Thread ???

Credits
    Savings
    You joined the forum 2 days ago.
    How do you know that terminology here about closing a Thread ???
    I understand that must seem suspicious especially if there has been an issue with duplicate accounts. With all due respect I joined in April 2012 and I made a thread in May 2012. I also read a lot here and I know you Marines like to close threads when the matter is concluded.

I apologize for presuming it should be closed. I do want to convey my thanks and that I am 'past the threshold of action' as they say... no more questions. Thank you again.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 04-12-13 at 06:07 PM. Reason: The Marines here have EARNED the title.....United States Marines. How about Marines, not guys.

Credits
    Savings
    My apologies.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rora1 View Post
    I understand that must seem suspicious especially if there has been an issue with duplicate accounts. With all due respect I joined in April 2012 and I made a thread in May 2012. I also read a lot here and I know you Marines like to close threads when the matter is concluded.

I apologize for presuming it should be closed. I do want to convey my thanks and that I am 'past the threshold of action' as they say... no more questions. Thank you again.
    I meant to say " 2 days ago to the year "

Closing threads, an issue with duplicate accounts ?

Something only a Former Member would know...

Hmmm.... ?

Credits
    Savings
    I meant to say " 2 days ago to the year "

Closing threads, an issue with duplicate accounts ?

Something only a Former Member would know...

Hmmm.... ?
    Again, understandable and I am probably digging myself a hole by being aware of the problem. I do post on other forums which is how I know it is an issue that admins look out for... I tend to pay attention to the rules both written and implied. I have no reason to create a duplicate account, though. Also, this one has my personal email, real name and profile.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well it's about time you said what I already thought.

I don't have a problem with anyone belonging to other Forums as long as you abide by the rules here, we are good to go.

What I do have a problem with is members posting a thread with a question and I take the time to answer it when I can be doing other things on the Forum when you are fully aware that you are posting just for the sake of posting.

If you were serious about enlisting in the United States Marine Corps, given your " Time is of the essence " because of your age problem you would not be on this Forum almost all day long, everyday.

You would be with a Recruiter like I suggested and you agreed that you would ASAP.

Other than that, have a nice day...

Credits
    Savings
    Well it's about time you said what I already thought.

I don't have a problem with anyone belonging to other Forums as long as you abide by the rules here, we are good to go.

What I do have a problem with is members posting a thread with a question and I take the time to answer it when I can be doing other things on the Forum when you are fully aware that you are posting just for the sake of posting.

If you were serious about enlisting in the United States Marine Corps, given your " Time is of the essence " because of your age problem you would not be on this Forum almost all day long, everyday.

You would be with a Recruiter like I suggested and you agreed that you would ASAP.

Other than that, have a nice day...
    I understand you are absolutely correct in your perceptions. I did mean every word I said in this thread and your time and advice will not be a waste. Since signing up on this forum a year ago my wife and I agreed I would do vocational school before enlisting and that is what I have been up to, not posting on forums. However, as you must know, joining the Marines is not about getting job training and this last year has made it clear to me that that is not what is best for us right now anyways.

I have taken your advice and have already taken all possible steps towards shortening the timeline to begin DEP as soon as possible. My wife and I live in Canada (she is a Canadian citizen) and are in the middle of completing my permanent residency here with only 2 months remaining. I also need to lose some weight before I enter the DEP and I will be using this time to do that as well. However I have already made arrangements since reading your advice yesterday to return to the US in July which is when I will be going to the recruiter.

I should have stated all this up front. I did not want to distract what boils down to a question of "what and when" rather than "how". Hopefully this makes sense and I will be returning to the forum in July as a poolee if all goes as planned.

Thank you again for your advice it really did make a critical difference and I am doing everything I can at this point to adhere to what you said.

Rocky -- Rora sounds very polished. Something's not right...

Thread Information