Engineering Student join Marines?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Lightbulb Engineering Student join Marines?

Hi, I am currently a high school senior. A few days ago, I received some college decisions and got accepted to UCLA, and still waiting for Berkeley and several others. My primary major is Aerospace engineering, and may get double major with Electrical Engineering too. (Since Aerospace is much similar to Mechanical, so I might got that too, not sure how it works to get three majors. )

Ok, so here is the Marine part. I always want to join the military, especially marine, seeing it as an experience as a chance to improve myself as well as a compensation for what this country did for me. I am thinking about joining the Marine or other military as an officer after bachelor or master.

I am not good at sports, but not too bad either; and I am willing to exercise during college to get in shape.
    Also, I am a really quite person, and maybe lack of leadership, which are the main reasons I want to join the Marine; besides, I think I might be a little "soft" as a man. I think the experience can train me to be a better person, and can be stronger, spiritually.

I am clear I want to ultimately have my own engineer business, and the leadership learned as an officer will help me accomplish the goal.

Therefore, my ideal route is attending college for 4 or 6 years(BA or Master), severing in the military for 4 or 5 years, then work in civilian world and have my own business.

Now, the concern is how do I utilize my skills in the military. I want to do engineering related jobs(mechanical or electrical or telecommunication), but preferably not combat engineer which is architectural. And also, I want to work in the combat instead of doing paperworks if that is possible. Maintenance jobs seems like technicians, instead of solider, which I am not interested in.

Please know that I am trying to be picky, those I said above are the ideals, and I understand I have to make some compromises.

The reason I want to be a Marine is Marines seems to have higher standard in the military. I consider myself to be ambitious, so I want to be the best. Besides, I feel other branches rely heavily on machines, and I want the skills I learned to be on myself instead of how to drive a tank.

So can anyone give me some advice on my career in Marine or other branches. Again, I understand I have to make compromises, so please don't feel I am trying to be picky.

I appreciate all your comments in advance

And two more question, for those who have served, do you think you have learned leaderships in an officer position and can use it in civilian world specifically in business(I read detailed research about people with military experience are more likely to have their own business especially officers)? And do you think Marine train this quality better than other branches?

Thanks

Jeff