"Lat Movements"
Create Post

Thread: "Lat Movements"

"Lat Movements"

I was wondering what exactly the process is.
    Also, if it's not too much to ask, I was wondering about the possibility of changing my current MOS request to 03XX, so I have a chance at the Silent Drill Platoon (One of my biggest wishes), and if I do this, what are the chances that later on during my career path I'll be able to move from infantry back onto my plan for becoming a Combat Engineer (1371)? In case anybody is wondering, I honestly would NOT mind being in infantry, I would love to fight, just that infantry wasn't my first choice, I'm now just swinging between the two.

Thank you for your time.

Similar Threads:

The process involves submitting a written request to Headquarters, Marine Corps through your Career Planner and is normally done in conjunction with reenlistment (as a reenlistment incentive). To be eligible for a lateral move, you must currently be in an overpopulated MOS and requesting to move into an underpopulated MOS. Lat moves are rare so the chances are slim. Remember, you will have been trained, and gained experience in your primary MOS. Now, you're asking the USMC to spend more money on you to train you in something completely different. Moving to a different MOS will also impact your promotion opportunities (as in slowing them down normally speaking). After formal training in your new MOS and upon arrival at your new duty station, you will now be competing for promotion with Marines who have years of experience...and you will have none. Our promotion system is geared to promote the best qualified; and that will not be you. So, anyone thinking about a lat move must know what's at stake and make an educated decision based on what's best for them at the time. I like to tell people "be careful what you ask for because you may just get it".

Thank you, I appreciate the help. I've been told I have the size down for the 24, now I'm just trying to choose which MOS I'll be going with.

Lat moves usually happen because the unit needs to fill a billet. Once you have multiple MOSs it's usually pretty easy to change whats designated as your primary in your record. What job your assigned to is another story all together. I spent 3 years as an 0311 then the unit needed an armorer so they sent me to school because it was quicker than requesting an armorer from division. 2 years later the unit I was in deployed to Iraq and they stuck me weapons platoon because we had 3 armorers and they didn't want battalion to "steal" me for HQ. So I got a third MOS with on the job training as a TOW gunner.

Lat moves will not happen within your first enlistment, The odds of going to the Silent Drill Platoon are slim to none. Odds are you will be an 03 then get out. Don't join the Marine Corps thinking your going to do more then one enlistment because once again odds are youare not.

Thread Information