Camp Lejeune Veterans: Free Health Care for 15 Conditions- Important Info
Create Post
    Administrator Platinum Member Rocky C's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Camp Lejeune Veterans: Free Health Care for 15 Conditions- Important Info

February 21, 2013 by Terry Walters.

Did you serve on active duty at the U.S. Marine Corps Base at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, from January 1, 1957 through December 31, 1987? You may have been exposed to drinking water contaminated with industrial solvents, benzene, and other chemicals.

The Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012 provided VA authority to treat Veterans who served at Camp Lejeune for not less than 30 days during the covered period.

These Veterans are eligible for enrollment in Priority Group 6 or higher and cost-free care VA health care for any of the following illnesses or conditions:

• Bladder cancer
    • Miscarriage
    • Breast cancer
    • Multiple myeloma
    • Esophageal cancer
    • Myelodysplastic syndromes
    • Female infertility
    • Neurobehavioral effects
    • Hepatic steatosis
    • Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
    • Kidney cancer
    • Renal toxicity
    • Leukemia
    • Scleroderma
    • Lung Cancer

Veterans already enrolled in VA health care can contact their local VA medical facility to receive care under the new law. Veterans who are not enrolled should apply for VA health care benefits by completing a VA Form 10-10EZ.

The application can be submitted online, by calling toll-free 1-877-222-VETS (8387) or in person at their local VA medical care facility.

To find the location of the nearest VA medical facility, use the facility locator.

Certain Family members who resided at Camp Lejeune will be eligible for health care once Congress appropriates funds to VA and final regulations are published. Family members can call 1-877-222-VETS (8387) to obtain more information.

The VA Office of Public Health website provides information about Camp Lejeune water contamination here.

The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) provides information on its website.

The US Marine Corps also maintains information here and encourages all who lived or worked at Camp Lejeune before 1987 to register to receive notifications.

Terry J. Walters is the Co-Chair of the VA Camp Lejeune Task Force and Deputy Chief Consultant of Post Deployment Health in the Office of Public Health at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Similar Threads:
    Semper Fidelis,
    Rocky

All Marine, All The Time......

.... . / ..-. . .-- --..-- - .... . / .--. .-. --- ..- -.. --..-- - .... . / -- .- .-. .. -. . ... .-.-.-

Rocky what is the turn around on this, my paperwork has been in for a while and I do have throat cancer and lung cancer, am presently being treated for at the VA hospital in Philly.

Raymond C. Harvey

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear that Brother.
    Prayers outbound to you.

Turnaround is usually 12-18 months depending on your state.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Semper Fidelis,
    Rocky

.... . / ..-. . .-- --..-- - .... . / .--. .-. --- ..- -.. --..-- - .... . / -- .- .-. .. -. . ... .-.-.-

You are looking at least 18 months here in Philly. We have quite a backlog of claims.

A double whammy, poisoned here and agent orange in the Nam. Thank God I never got the black sift.

Rocky, what happens if you pass before you get it.

Raymond C. Harvey

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Your spouse or dependant children get nothing Brother.

Semper Fidelis,
    Rocky

Thats not entirely true. If you pass while you have an open claim your spouse or dependent can send in a "substitution of claimant" to try to be awarded any accrued benefits that you were owed at the time of your death.

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Yes that's correct but I thought Ray was asking me about future benefits for his family should he pass and didn't win an award of benefits.

Also I didn't want to get long winded about the 10 year rule for survivor benefits for service connected.

I hope I read and answered Ray's question correctly ?

I feel bad now if I didn't read it right. I hope I did....

Semper Fidelis,
    Rocky

I'm probably being redundant, but it is equally important that if a Marines Spouse was with him or her at Lejeune living in base quarters re; Tarawa Terrace etc;, as well as their children, or a child was born at the base hospital that they also be signed up and registered through the VA. Dependents may be eligible for treatment if they meet the qualifications.

I've been involved in the water contamination problem for several years, and it is amazing how far it has come, but at a tremendous cost to one's health.

Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Correct and if you want to file an actual claim for Illness you have to do like I did here.

Department of the Navy
    Office of the Judge Advocate General
    Washington Naval Yard, Bldg 33
    1322 Patterson Ave SE Suite 3000
    Washington DC, 20374-5066

ATTN: Camp Lejeune Claim.

Best of Health to you all...

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Semper Fidelis,
    Rocky

Thread Information