Marine Corps League National Headquarters
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HISTORY OF THE
    MARINE CORPS LEAGUE

The League is a veterans organization of the United States Marines. It is composed of Marines and former Marines with honorable service. It aims to perpetuate the traditions and spirit of the United States Marine Corps through continuous association of Marines who served under the Eagle, Globe and Anchor at any time, in war or peace.

The League was founded by Major General John A. Lejeune in 1923 and chartered by an Act of Congress on August 4, 1937. Its membership of over 50,000 is comprised of honorably discharged, active duty and Reserve Marines with 90 days of service or more, and retired Marines. It includes officers and enlisted, both male and female.

The Marine Corps League is headed by an elected National Commandant, with 14 elected national staff officers who serve as trustees. Day-to-day operations are under the control of an executive director who supervises the day-to-day performance of the national headquarters staff, located at 8626 Lee Highway in Fairfax, Virginia.

The prime authority of the League is derived from its charter and from its annual national convention held in August in different major U.S. cities throughout the nation. The National Commandant has operational control over the National Headquarters staff and the National Board of Trustees, who in turn coordinate the efforts of 45 departments, or state entities, and the activities of over 780 community-based detachments located throughout the United States and overseas.

The League is classified as a veterans/military service organization and was formed for the purposes of promoting the interest of the U. S. Marine Corps; to provide camaraderie and assistance to Marines, as well as to their widows and orphans; and to preserve the traditions of the U. S. Marine Corps. It is a not for profit organization within the provisions of Internal Revenue Service Code 501(c)(4), with a special group exemption letter which allows for contributions to the Marine Corps League, its Auxiliary and subsidiary units, to be tax deductible by the donor.

http://www.mcleague.com/mdp/index.php

Marines, and FMF Corpsmen, retain contact with your buddies. Keep the spirit of the Corps alive. Join the Marine Corps League in your area.
    http://www.mcleague.com/mdp/index.php?module=locator

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 02-25-13 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks for the post! The Marine Corps League oath also makes excellent reading and in my opinion, should be prominently displayed in all detachments as a reminder of the ideals it contains.

That sounds like a good idea MAG266165!
    They need to be reminded about the oath that they took when they where installed to become a Detachment officer. There are some that want the position, but don't want the responsibilities that come with it.

I'd also like to see any new member's DD214 forwarded to national for verification once the local detachment has reviewed it. A "grandfather clause" would only be partially effective here because the problem of bogus 214's has become serious, especially in a situation where one of the individuals I refer to is a court-recognized expert on the forging of documents. I'm sure there are probably others, but I know of two offhand who have become detachment officers, Marine of the Year, Pedigreed Devil Dog, etc. who never earned an EGA in any capacity. This would be bad enough, but these characters do little for the detachment that doesn't involve some form of personal reward and have publicly worn fantasy rank and ribbons on dress blues at color guards. One even became a Department Commandant. Due to a lack of standardization in detachment by-laws, the membership does not get to nominate its leaders or MOY in this area. Instead, past detachment commandants (in some cases relatives) tell the members who will fill these positions. The predictable result has been an exodus of the most productive members, including nearly the entire auxiliary at one meeting. We delude ourselves if we believe that other veterans organizations don't notice these things. Among Marines, the local detachment has become their best recruiting tool.

This was just discussed at the National Mid-Winter Conference, 7-9 Feb, held in Falls Church, VA.

The NEW MCL membership application forum....
    http://www.mcleague.com/mdp/pdf/Appl...rship_2013.pdf

And you can also find the NEW MCL membership form, after page 46, in the JAN/FEB issue of the Semper Fi magazine.

Were any recommendations made? Having 214's verified by national wouldn't involve much expense at all. I know a senior VA official who is able to access and verify anyone's DD214 from his laptop almost instantly.

I noticed the wording in the new application and started an informational thread on it. It's good news but the problem in this area has become so advanced that the league's cedibility has been badly damaged. Anyway, it's a leadership problem and all we peons can do is make the higher-ups aware of the situation.

The body was in favor of the new changes to the application form.
    All that was discussed is that this is the new MCL application that everyone is to use now. If a new member is going to join a Detachment and he or she doesn't want to provide a copy of their 214 to National, which by the way will be kept in a vault and the National Executive Director will be the only one to handle this, the member will become an Associate member until he or she provides the copy of the 214 to National.
    You can make as many copies of the new MCL membership application as you want, but the wording is not to be altered in any way if you were going to type up one of your own.

Thanks again! It's good to know that some progress is being made and I'll get the word out.

No problem....... glad I can help out!

Hey Softball! I talked with some buddies and none of what you've told me has come down through official channels. Thanks to this forum we have a better understanding of the efforts being made on the league's behalf.

God bless and Semper Fi!

Glad I can help!

For more info, try checking with your Department Commandant (I'm sot sure if I met Dept of Missouri's Commandant) or your Midwest Division Vice Wendall Webb. I do know Wendell Webb.....great Marine!

Last edited by Lisa 23; 02-28-13 at 08:59 AM.

Our Department Commandant is probably the reason for the tightened membership requirements so there isn't likely to be much help from that quarter. District was content to let one of our disabled combat Marines be suspended from the league for two years because he insisted on seeing proof of service for this individual, completely ignoring league rules for due process. This was overturned with prejudice by national. At a meeting with the local detachment, District threatened to revoke the detachment's charter for members requesting proof of service for this individual (to refute her own statements) and also a district officer stated that "anyone with one day's service is a Marine." Strange times, these.

We all know that one day of service does not make one a Marine. Some people just don't get it.....

Last edited by Lisa 23; 02-27-13 at 05:51 PM.

We lost a lot of members and the active participation of more after that statement. It's comforting to know that the league has taken the steps necessary to prevent the repeat of a major screw-up. The number of M-A-L's in this area has increased considerably and we have our own informal group, but all believe in the league and its mission. Better days are coming!

Semper Fi!

If there are 20 or more M-A-L's, they can probably start a new Detachment, that is if they want to.

A lot of members think that National just sits around and does nothing, when if fact, they are working very hard to make the Marine Corps League one of the best organizations out there!

Thread Information