Specific Question on Possible Medical DQ
Create Post

Specific Question on Possible Medical DQ

Hello Marines!

I'm a 16 year old junior in high school who plans on seeing a recruiter very soon about possible enlistment options in the Marine Corps.

I just had a few questions about very specific medical problems and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to handle these situations or what my odds are of getting a waiver for them.

I'd like to start by saying I'm a female who recently took the ASVAB scoring a 92 for my AFQT. I'm pretty physically fit and am currently in the Military Club at my school. I don't know if this will have an effect on my value as a recruit, but I figured it would be worth mentioning.

The first of my medical issues is called alopecia. Alopecia is basically hair loss, but there are varying degrees of it. Currently, I am completely bald and have no eyebrows, but I still have eyelashes and ear/nose hair (all the essential hair to keep dust and bacteria out of your body). As I mentioned, I am a female so, of course, being bald goes against regulations. Does anyone know if I will need a waiver for this condition if it in no way affects my ability to be a Marine?

My second medical problem is the larger of the two. At the end of this past summer I suffered from situational depression. Basically I was a teenager who thought I was in love and when it didn't work out thought it was the end of the world. I saw a regular counselor from June-August about my parent's seperation the previous year, but was never diagnosed with depression. After the break up occured I felt crushed and became depressed. I ended up in the emergency room, but not for a suicide attempt. I cut myself with scissors on the top of the wrist in a cry for attention and help (not to kill myself, which I believe is expilicitly stated in the hospital report as I made it very clear). The hospital report diagnosed me with situational depression that will "go away over time." I was recommended to a teen counceling service where I was put on prozac. I was in weekly counceling for a few months (but honestly felt better after a few weeks). I was also only on the prozac for about 3 months coming off of it in October.

My question regarding this situation is my chances of being waived for it. I know mental health waivers are hard to come by, but my depression was only circumstantial and is even in writing saying it would go away over time. I was only in counceling for 6-7 months total and on medication for about 3. As of now I have not been off of the medicine long enough to enlist, but by the time I finish high school I will have been off of it for about 1.5-2 years. Before going on the medication I voiced my concern with the psychiatrist about taking it if I planned on joining the military. She assured me that taking it would be fine and when I wanted to enlist they could put in writing that I am completely cured of depression and that it was only a solitary incident. Is this true? To what extent does a doctor's assurance and recommendation affect the MEP's doctor's decision on a waiver?

Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to make sure everyone completely understood the situation. Thank you in advance for any replies!