Are you older than dirt? - Page 8
Create Post
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    Someone mentioned green and gold stamps, but more specifically S&H green stamps and Gold Bond stamps.....Sperry and Hutchinson is still in business, but they are now Green POINTS, all online. It figures.
    That's right Dave with a book to put them in, Semper Fidelis.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Penny Loafers. The shinier the penny, the better.

I remember my Dad always told me to slip a dime in instead because he said that was the price of a Pay Phone Call to use in case of an emergency.

Didn't look good against a brown shoe but.....

I listened and he was right on that one many times.

How about fizzies,lol,Semper Fidelis.

How about the Raliegh coupons. One in each pack for the old smokers

You were talking about marbles, how about bottle caps. Playing in the streets

Do you have any Cat Eyes or Steelies mixed in those marbles.

Favorite game of mine as a kid was Chinese Checkers.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    Ice cream trucks in the neighborhood seemed to be more common then than now. We used to love the Eskimo Pies.
    50/50 Ice Cream Bar.

Mustard Plasters on the chest.

Cod Liver Oil by the spoonfull.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Don't know if I like this thread or not. It just reminds me that I'm just a old fart. Just kidding I love this thread because It brings back all good memories for me. I had a GREAT childhood. We used to play marbles at lunch break at school. Semper Fi Buddy

They have lakes near Bakersfield. News to me. Might be a slough here and there. LOL

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Playing Cowboys and Indians and makeing my first sling shot with the good old entertubs. Before I had ponys me and my sister rode tobacco sticks as horses with hay strings as reins. Me and my sister in the 50's Semper Fi Buddycowboy_cowgirl.jpg

Use to cut off car tops the older 50's made excellent boats in slough beds, Semper Fidelis.

Dave: I remember carrying a pair of pliers to pull off the little red Levi tag on the real pocket. If you saved X-amount they were worth a new pair of levi's. At school you had to watch your backside as most everyone had pliers.

Used to ride the Trailways bus all over the valley in California. In the summer time spent most of my time at the swimming pool or at the canal swimming.

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    It was a small pond. No lakes right near Bakersfield, you are correct, Willie.

Anyone remember "car coats"? They were a very big deal to kids in Caifornia, I don't know about the rest of the country.....a particular style of coat. We all had to have one, naturally, once they became popular.

We all wore Levis--not Dickies, not Lees, not Wranglers, just Levi-Strauss, buttons, now called 501 style---they were $4.50 a pair.

Another thing we had was Gilbert chemistry sets. Metal box, three panels to it when fully opened up. Fascinating to a kid.
    Dave remembers car coats, we here on the east coast wore stadium coats that had hoods and buttoned with loops and toggles as the fasteners. Then there was Flagg Flyer shoes with a metal device that, when open, allowed the your foot to slide in easily. The device was covered with leather to match the rest of the shoe. Then of course we had to have cletes on the heel just to be heard coming down the hall.

Crayons and coloring books for kids back in my younger days...iPads and cell phones for kids now...

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McT ontheRock71 View Post
    Dave remembers car coats, we here on the east coast wore stadium coats that had hoods and buttoned with loops and toggles as the fasteners.
    You Betcha Ken

Thread Information