Are you older than dirt? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    I grew up in NYC during the 60's and 70's, and two very popular and common things there are riding the subway and pizza.

One of the strangest phenomena I noticed as a kid back in the 60's was that a slice of pizza was always the same price as a subway or bus token. When a slice was a twenty cents, so was the subway. When pizza was a quarter, so was the token. Then the two were 35 cents, then 50 cents.

I don't know how it is today, but back in the 60's and 70's the two strangely were always the same price.

Old Marine,
    I grew up in Los Banos, and I am surprised at how many folks our age, didn't know you could smokem. My dad was a John Deere/Cat mechanic (poor), but I was able to afford long balloons, for making those spokes get out of line, but what fun, making noise. That old Schwinn was the best. Flipped the handle bar
    for a while (probably the real start of my back problems).

Rocky,
    Those old wood clothes pins weren't worth a damn for this task.

Just saying, but I was pretty good with a Duncan back in the late 50's.

Semper Fi
    This is fun. I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but you guys are bringing up some fun "old" memories. Twas' a simpler time.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hahahaha !!!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    I grew up in NYC during the 60's and 70's, and two very popular and common things there are riding the subway and pizza.

One of the strangest phenomena I noticed as a kid back in the 60's was that a slice of pizza was always the same price as a subway or bus token. When a slice was a twenty cents, so was the subway. When pizza was a quarter, so was the token. Then the two were 35 cents, then 50 cents.

I don't know how it is today, but back in the 60's and 70's the two strangely were always the same price.
    That is sooo wierd Ken that you said that

A single fare one way is $2.50 and a slice of pizza now in the city is average $2.50.

Wow, that's freaking me out. I gotta find out why that is !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    That is sooo wierd Ken that you said that

A single fare one way is $2.50 and a slice of pizza now in the city is average $2.50.

Wow, that's freaking me out. I gotta find out why that is !!!
    Yup, really strange, isn't it?

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I remember my sister getting her tonciles taken out in 55. You could smell ether on her breath for a week after that.

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Does anyone remember the original "You Asked For It" TV show? It was hosted by Art Baker at first and then Jack Linkletter took over in the early 60's. People woud write in to the program and ask to see a specific thing. The program would send a camara crew out to where ever that thing was located, film it and put it on the show. I remember seeing segments of the water sking show at Cyprus Gardens, Florida for the first time on the program.

Credits
    Savings
    Gas for 18 Cents a gallon. Free glasses or silverware with a fill up that included checking all of the fluids, tires and cleaning all of the windows.The Ford 232 flathead V-8. Plymouth flathead 6. I met my wife to be when I was home on leave driving a 50 ply 4 door that I bought from pevnicks junkyard for 25 bucks and the best going to the park and sleeping on blankets on the hot summer nights.

listening to Amos & Andy, followed by "The Creaking Door" or "The Jack Benny Show" on the radio on Sunday Nights. Picking up a loaf of Italian Bread at the bakery, right out of the oven, we usually had to get two, because one of them was GONE by the time we got home!!!!

I don't think Fibber McGee and Molly ever did get their closet cleaned out.

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That's funny Willie, I thought that their closet was cleaned each time the door was opened and all the junk came tumbling out.

Anybody remember the "Mare's Leg?"
    Black and white western. Didn't last too long.

S

Quote Originally Posted by McT ontheRock71 View Post
    That's funny Willie, I thought that their closet was cleaned each time the door was opened and all the junk came tumbling out.
    Could be, but everytime they opened the door the same junk always seemed to come tumbling out.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Here's a shock for teen-agers today.........when I was in the 10th grade.....which is as far as I went....you could fillup a 20 gallon gas tank on your car, buy a carton of cigeretts, a case of beer, and still have enough money left to go to the drive Inn, with a 10 dollar bill.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Mongoose, I finally found sombody that droped out of school when I did in the tenth grade, got married and joined the Corps three months later. Remembering those good ole days is really good. That's what I talk about on Cowboy Up, about my younger days plowing with horses, tractors and all my criters I have now. I used to be a owner operator and my second son was bout five and he rode in my lap and said: Can't wait to tell everyone how easy this is). I too was driving on dirt roads when I could hardly see over the wheel. Back then we drove tractors everywhere or rode horses. Again GREAT Thread
    Semper Fi Buddy

Thread Information