Savings
    Images
    hahahaha !!!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wow !!!

I remember when I bought this 50 dollar coffin called a 47 Pontiac, I had to pray every time I got to a hill. The compression on the engine was very low. One time when I was going to LA from Camp Pendleton I saw this big azz hill and started praying the problem was I never got to the damn hill it was all an illusion. LOL.

OUCH....Feeling old after reading those....

For those who never saw any of the Burma Shave signs, here is a quick lesson in our history of the 1930's and '40's. Before there were interstates, when everyone drove the old 2 lane roads, Burma Shave signs would be posted all over the countryside in farmers' fields. They were small red signs with white letters. Five signs, about 100 feet apart, each containing 1 line of a 4 line couplet.......and the obligatory 5th sign advertising Burma Shave, a popular shaving cream.

These were still out in the 50's & early 60's (at least in Texas)

Here are more of the actual signs:

DON'T STICK YOUR ELBOW
    OUT SO FAR
    IT MAY GO HOME
    IN ANOTHER CAR.
    BURMA SHAVE

TRAINS DON'T WANDER
    ALL OVER THE MAP
    'CAUSE NOBODY SITS
    IN THE ENGINEER'S LAP
    Burma Shave

SHE KISSED THE HAIRBRUSH
    BY MISTAKE
    SHE THOUGHT IT WAS
    HER HUSBAND JAKE
    Burma Shave

DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD
    TO GAIN A MINUTE
    YOU NEED YOUR HEAD
    YOUR BRAINS ARE IN IT
    Burma Shave

DROVE TOO LONG
    DRIVER SNOOZING
    WHAT HAPPENED NEXT
    IS NOT AMUSING
    Burma Shave

BROTHER SPEEDER
    LET'S REHEARSE
    ALL TOGETHER
    GOOD MORNING, NURSE
    Burma Shave

CAUTIOUS RIDER
    TO HER RECKLESS DEAR
    LET'S HAVE LESS BULL
    AND A LITTLE MORE STEER
    Burma Shave

SPEED WAS HIGH
    WEATHER WAS NOT
    TIRES WERE THIN
    X MARKS THE SPOT
    Burma Shave

THE MIDNIGHT RIDE
    OF PAUL FOR BEER
    LED TO A WARMER
    HEMISPHERE
    Burma Shave

AROUND THE CURVE
    LICKETY-SPLIT
    BEAUTIFUL CAR
    WASN'T IT?
    Burma Shave

NO MATTER THE PRICE
    NO MATTER HOW NEW
    THE BEST SAFETY DEVICE
    IN THE CAR IS YOU
    Burma Shave

A GUY WHO DRIVES
    A CAR WIDE OPEN
    IS NOT THINKIN'
    HE'S JUST HOPIN'
    Burma Shave

AT INTERSECTIONS
    LOOK EACH WAY
    A HARP SOUNDS NICE
    BUT IT'S HARD TO PLAY
    Burma Shave

BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL
    EYES ON THE ROAD
    THAT'S THE SKILLFUL
    DRIVER'S CODE
    Burma Shave

THE ONE WHO DRIVES
    WHEN HE'S BEEN DRINKING
    DEPENDS ON YOU
    TO DO HIS THINKING
    Burma Shave

CAR IN DITCH
    DRIVER IN TREE
    THE MOON WAS FULL
    AND SO WAS HE.
    Burma Shave

PASSING SCHOOL ZONE
    TAKE IT SLOW
    LET OUR LITTLE
    SHAVERS GROW
    Burma Shave

Do these bring back any old memories?
    If not, you're merely a child.
    If they do - then you're old as dirt... LIKE ME!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I forgot all about this thread. Great stuff

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I don't know how many of you remember when the octagonal STOP sign had a yellow backround with black lettering. Some even had small round reflectors on the lettering following the letter's shape.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When my dad came home from work at the end of his day, he would sit down in his "easy" chair with the evening paper. When he would open it up, his hands and legs would be the only things visable. The size of the paper was so large, it could act as a blanket for sleeping and oft times it did. Over the years the newspaper industry's product has gone from a cheap way of communicating the news of the day to an expensive mode of sales advertising. What a sad statement.

Rubber band slingshots . Captain Video flashlight guns . R C cola 12 oz. bottles , one of which I still have .
    As Bob Hope would say , "Thanks for the memories."

FENDER SKIRTS AND SUPPER
    I know some of you will not understand this message,
    but I bet you know someone who might.
    I came across this phrase yesterday.

'FENDER SKIRTS'

A term I haven't heard in a long time, and thinking about
    'fender skirts' started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice like 'curb feelers'

And 'steering knobs.' (AKA) 'suicide knob,' 'neckers knobs.'

Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first. Any kids will probably have to find some older person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember 'Continental kits?'
    They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them 'emergency brakes? At some point 'parking brake' became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with 'emergency brake.'

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the 'foot feed.' Many today do not even know what a clutch is or that the dimmer switch used to be on the floor.
    For that matter, the starter was down there too.

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the 'running board' up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - 'store-bought.' Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

'Coast to coast' is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term 'worldwide' for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, 'wall-to-wall' was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting
    with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When was the last time you heard the quaint phrase 'in a family way?' It's hard to imagine that the word 'pregnant' was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company, so we had all that talk about stork visits and 'being in a family way' or simply 'expecting.'

Apparently 'brassiere' is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just 'bra' now.
    'Unmentionables' probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the 'picture show,' but I considered 'movie' an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure '60s word I came across the other day 'rat fink.' Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - 'percolator.'
    That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with 'Coffee maker.' How dull.. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like 'Dyna Flow' and 'Electrolux' and 'Frigidaire'. Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with 'Spectra Vision!'

Food for thought.
    Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what Castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening kids with Castor Oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most is 'supper.' Now, everybody says 'dinner.' Save a great word. Invite someone to supper - Discuss fender skirts.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Great post David. Some of those words I haven't thought about in years.

Credits
    Savings
    I remember my mom would go to the corner market. There was no pre ground coffee, she would get a bag of bean and run them through a big grinder that put the ground coffee back in the bag and if she was real busy she could call the market and the stuff would be delivered by a kid on a bike.

I know some of you will not understand this message, but I betyou know someone who might.
    I came across this phrase yesterday 'FENDER SKIRTS'

A term I haven't heard in a long time, and thinking about 'fender skirts' started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice like'curb feelers'

And 'steering knobs.'

Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first.

Any kids will probably have to find some older person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember 'Continental kits?'
    They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them 'emergency brakes?
    At some point 'parking brake' became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with 'emergency brake.'

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the 'foot feed.'
    Many today do not even know what a clutch is or that the dimmer switch used to be on the floor.
    For that matter, the starter was down there too.

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the'running board' up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - 'store-bought.'
    Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days.
    But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

'Coast to coast' is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing.
    Now we take the term 'worldwide' for granted.
    This floors me.

On a smaller scale, 'wall-to-wall' was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting!
    Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When was the last time you heard the quaint phrase 'in a family way?' It's hard to imagine that the word 'pregnant' was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company, so we had all that talk about stork visits and 'being in a family way' or simply 'expecting.'

Apparently 'brassiere' is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up.
    I guess it's just 'bra' now. 'Unmentionables' probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the 'picture show,' but I considered 'movie' an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure '60s word I came across the other day 'rat fink.' Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - 'percolator.' That was just a fun word to say.
    And what was it replaced with 'Coffee maker.' How dull... Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro.
    Words like 'Dyna Flow' and 'Electrolux' and 'Frigidaire'.
    Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with 'Spectra Vision!'

Food for thought. Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago?
    Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what Castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening kids with Castor Oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitelyon the endangered list.
    The one that grieves me most is 'supper.' Now everybody says 'dinner.' Save a great word.
    Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hey Dave, when you reminisce about automobile nomenclature, how about the words mudflaps or window vents? Most cars today have wheel covers instead of hubcaps and upholstery is used more than seatcovers.

Thread Information