Are you older than dirt? - Page 12
Create Post
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blutic View Post
    November 2012.
    I knew you were on my friends list as a Capt. Congrats Sir, Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I can remember when Playboy magazine did not show the Playmates snatch! If it were meant 2 eat it would come in a C-Rat can or grow on a Tree

Credits
    Savings
    This is now meant to offend anyboby but I can remember when 14 and 15 year olds went to other states to get married and some of them that we know are still together. My wife is a DAR member and early marriage was quite common in this great country.....What happened?

In the today world they would both be serving 40 years

Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    This is now meant to offend anyboby but I can remember when 14 and 15 year olds went to other states to get married and some of them that we know are still together. My wife is a DAR member and early marriage was quite common in this great country.....What happened?

In the today world they would both be serving 40 years
    Modern society developed. Adolescence is a modern invention. In the old days you went from infancy to childhood to adulthood No adolescence. If a boy was doing what a man could do, he was a man even if he was 13 or 14. Same for a girl. When she matured she was automatically called a woman and ready to marry.

The idea of adolescents took hold in earnest during our lifetime. I remember stories of couples here going to Mississippi to marry because you didn't have to be 18. I think it was 17 there at the time (anyone know for sure). Some went to Louisiana where a 15 year old could marry without parental consent.

My grandfather's first wife was quite young, around 15 or 16 at the time of their marriage at the turn of the century. Today he would be arrested for child molestation since he was something like 23 or 24 at the time. The marriage didn't last and he remarried in the 19 teens sometime to a young girl who was still in her late teens. He was in his 40s at the time! Talk about serving 40 years. They had 3 children, one being my father. She died in the late 1920s and my grandfather never remarried.

My wife was 16 and I was 22 when we met and got married in July, 1965. It'll be 48 years this July, four children and four grandchildren later and she is still the love of my life.

Good thing you aren't in school today or they would have the cops taking you and that cap gun away LOL

The more of these I read the greyer my hair is getting. LOL It may not be old enough for all of you but does anyone remember when they made greasy kids stuff? It was a take off of Vitalis ads.
    And I remember the starter buttons on cars and me and my sister sitting in the car waiting for Dad to come out of the store pushing it and the car was smashing the car in front LOL

Anyone remember the "Jewel Tea Man" coming around every month trying to sell his wares. My sister still has a bowl set that my mother bought from the guy. Used to also be the " Fuller Brush Man."

Anybody remember chasing the ice truck to get chips of ice in the summer, remember the iceman carrying blocks of ice into the house for the icebox?

Remember when new cars came standard with no heaters, no radios, no turn signals, no air condition, no power windows and just stick shift.

I remember all the tv shows you guys are talking about, I watch them everyday now myself, and laugh at the things my dad and grandfather did while the shows were on, man those where the days, miss both of them, now I watch them with my grandkids and don't let John Wayne be on in one of those old war movies... Those were the shows than and now, only thing got a bigger screen to watch them.

Anybody remember Rat Patrol or Combat....

Quote Originally Posted by silverdollar View Post
    Anybody remember ducktail haircuts pegged pants and turned up collars?
    Anybody remember when a Buck Sgt did not have the crossed rifles??

Quote Originally Posted by Chief23A View Post
    Anybody remember when a Buck Sgt did not have the crossed rifles??
    Yep. just one of the fiasco's the military had in that time period. Should have added the E-8 and E-9 and went on with life. All the rest of it was a waste of time and money.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    A slab of vanilla ice cream between 2 waffles from the ice cream man for 5 cents...

Thread Information