Are you older than dirt? - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    I think the pink stuff was butch wax.

Sgt Jim, They were the good days. How about going to the movies. We had the news, three cartoon, and a Buck Rodgers serial along with a double feature, all for ten cents.

The posts are really nostalgic. What I really remember about those days was the lack of parental supervision as we went about our daily play. No one worried about getting molested or kidnapped. We ran all over town and as the sun went down, we went home. In the summer we ran up and down the streets at night playing all kinds of games. No worries, just fun. Sundays were reserved for Ed Sullivan, and we watched shows like Red Skelton, Uncle Milty, and the kids watch those old cartoons with dancing flowers. I never realized that when I got to college that recognizing the music in those silly cartoons would help me get good grades in music appreciation class. I was a teenager before I saw a color set. When our local station went to color in the late 60s, my grandfather sat in front of the TV all day waiting for it to change from BW to color. When I got home from school he asked me if this was the day. I had a heck of a time explaining to him that you had to have a color set to see color. We had a party line for a telephone back then. We even had a doctor that made house calls out into the country side to see my grandfather (We were about 12 miles from the clinic) He would treat him, give him a dose of medicine, write a prescription, and tell my dad that would be $10.00. The boys had gun racks in their pickups and they would leave their windows down in the parking lot and no one cared. Every now and then the principal might talk guns or even open his trunk to show of his new 12 gauge. Try that today.

Am I older than dirt? Well back in the day when Cpl. Moses and I were in the desert......

Quote Originally Posted by David R 1968 View Post
    Might have been Pomade.

I remembered 2 other things. I remember the Catholic Legion of Decency which told us what certain movies we COULD NOT go to see. And I remember clipping what could have been my future retirement fund to my bike spokes with clothes pins.

Realizing that we all remember the Woolworth's Five & Dime, but does anyone remember the variety store called J.J. Newberry's, or the variety store called Kress's.
    The Newberrys in my hometown had a big long soda fountain and lots of goodies. Banana Splits to kill for, Phosphates, Real Milk Shakes, and of course Cherry Cokes.

These stores are history now, but they really should be resurected and brought back to life.

How about the old Sun Ray drug stores. They had a great soda and ice cream counter.

Quote Originally Posted by David R 1968 View Post
    There was pink and also green butch wax, Semper Fidelis.

We never watched much TV we were always out playing baseball. I went to my Grandsons baseball game last week and could not believe how awful 10 yr old boys
    played the game. Thanks Xbox and TV for that. We always ate together as a family too, had some great conversation in those days.

I remember the good ole days when we shined boots, pressed cami's, wore field jackets, slept in shelter halves, and ate dehydrated potato patties in MREs (without heaters).

Quote Originally Posted by Blutic View Post
    I remember the good ole days when we shined boots, pressed cami's, wore field jackets, slept in shelter halves, and ate dehydrated potato patties in MREs (without heaters).
    Sir, did you just get promoted recently? Semper Fidelis

November 2012.

I remember all of them. I'm 70 now. I guess I'm older than dirt. Here's one my father had an old Gram. When ever he would drive onto the ferry it would break down and need o be pushed off. This was in the late 40s early 50s.

Credits
    Savings
    I remember when you went to the drug store down the street and got a real fontaine coke made with coke syrup and seltzer water for a nickle. A squirt of cheyyr syrup was a penney more. and I remember when my mom would call the market and the suff would be delivered by a kid on a bike with a big basket on the back fender. The bills were settled on saturday.

I remember when we would buy. A block of ice at the ice house. Put in your wagon walk the streets and sell snow balls for 3 cents. And oft pretzels for. A Penney a piece. We bought the pretzels .60 cents for a hundred pretzels. You worked all day and maybe you made a dollar.

Thread Information