Are you older than dirt? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That was good Billy. Brylcream, " A little dab will do ya ".

Remember Prell Shampoo ?

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well Marines, I know that I'm older than dirt. I remember when they first started to manufacture it. Every one has loved Betty White for a long time. I remember her first TV series "Life with Elizabeth". Jim Backus (Thurston Howell III) from Gilligan's Island played her husband. Yeah Billy I remember the cap pistols and roll caps. We'd shoot off our caps and smoke would start to escape from the barrel. As soon as that happened, we'd turn the business end of the cap gun toward us an inhale the smoke. If a modern parent saw that happen today my mom and dad would be answering DYFS charges in court.

How about butch wax,lol,Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Alright brothers, I know you remember the cap guns. You had to put a roll of caps in your gun or you could roll 'em out on something and hit 'em with a rock or something to get a bang. Remember Brylcream?
    I'll never forget Brylcream, when I was about 5 or 6, my dad left a tube out on the bathroom counter once and I used it thinking it was toothpaste.

yep, older than dirt, I remember each and every one of those things, and like Tony, the only ones we didn't have were the "ice box" and the wash tub wringer, but we did have a wringer on the washing machine, after we got one. Before my stepdad boutht the washer, Mom used a washboard in the big zinc double sink in the garage to wash our clothes. How about window and / or attic fans, nobody had AC in their house, or car. And nobody thought twice about it when a 11 year old went to the local hardware store and bought a couple of boxes of .22 shorts (.25 a box), then rode his bicycle to the edge of the woods with a .22 rifle on the handlebars and spent the afternoon plinking at empty beer cans or bottles, or even managed to pop a rabbit or two for dinner....throw in catching "fireflys" and putting them in a jar with holes in the top, and running behind the "mosquito spray truck" breathing in all of that DDT that today "will cause cancer if it touches your skin"... yep, the best times of our lives, and today's kids will never eve be able to comprehend it, mutch less experience it.....

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Yea, we used to ride our bikes behind those trucks spraying DDT. I never heard of anyone dying from it. Also, in my younger days, you got your ass paddled hard as hell in school for screwing up. And they didn't have to get permission either. Usually got it wore out again when you got home.

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    How many of you remember strike anywhere matches? We always had a box next to the stove to ignite the burners or the oven. I last purchased a box of these in Charleston SC about 20 years ago. Can't find them anywhere now. How many remember when book matches had the strip of flint on the open side of the book? Manufacturers moved it to the back side to prevent an errant spark from setting the remainder of the matches left in the book afire.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Crank telephones and it diled the operator and you asked her to conect you to whom ever...hirlls wernt aloud to wear anything but dresses to school...and they had to be below the knees....most the ranch work was done with horses...only a few in the vally had thrashing machines so they went from farm to farm...all the neibors worked togeather to get the crops in....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    ment girls...hasnt been a hirle around here in years

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    HST good thread,
    I remember all these.
    Thanks for reminding us of the good old times.
    Semper Fi Buddy

Amazed how many of these are great memories. Anyone ever smoke the grapevine?
    I remember that start button above and to the right of the gas pedal, and running a dollar bill through the points, so it wouldn't shake you to crazy. The '59 Volkswagen and waving to other Volkswagens because "we were special".
    Was always mad at my Dad for making me go to Wednesday night Pray meeting at the Baptist Church. The Shadow came on the radio at 7:30PM, and Prayer Meeting started at 8:00, and I missed the last ten minutes, every Wednesday night. I was always stuck to the radio, to the very last second I could manage, short of being in big trouble (most times) for making my parents late.
    White Levi's with the cuff turn inside and newspaper linings, to keep them perfectly round.

Drive it like you stole it.

Sempi

I remember being 9 or 10, when my Dad put me in his lap, while driving, and teaching me how to steer. I thought I was such a big sh!t. Steering the car, (a 1949 Hudson), down country roads, and later, getting good enough to drive (steer), in town. Back when you parked slanted, into the front sidewalk.
    I want to do this with my Grandson, and I catch crap from everyone. You can't put a kid in your lap. Someone will call and turn you in to Child Protective Services, and charge you with child endangerment, and breaking a seat belt law.
    A secret kept by a nine year old, is only good for the max of two weeks.

So, the Grand kids love Grandpa, and that is what matters.

Semper Fi
    sempi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Every once in awhile there's a good thread started that I like and this is one of them. Thanks for the memories.
    Riding in the back window.
    Semper Fi Buddy

Growing up in Fresno, Ca. and cutting a whole lot of grapes, I have smoked many a grape vine. Much better than picking up snipes that were laying around.

Riding in the rumble seat of the Model "A" was a lot of fun. Cranking the Model "A" was not a whole lot of fun.

Loved listening to Lamont Cranston (The Shadow) on the radio.

Dad used to get pizzed when I put playing cards on my bike spokes to make it sound like it had a motor. Loosened the spokes and put the wheel out of line.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post

Dad used to get pizzed when I put playing cards on my bike spokes to make it sound like it had a motor. Loosened the spokes and put the wheel out of line.
    And Mom used to get mad for ruining her clothes pins doing it.

Those were some the best days of my life...

Great Thread !!!

I am going to make this one a sticky so it never goes away.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Thread Information