Are you older than dirt? - Page 13
Create Post
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by William Raybold View Post
    Remember when new cars came standard with no heaters, no radios, no turn signals, no air condition, no power windows and just stick shift.
    Today's generation would be lost,lol,Semper Fidelis.

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    With the sky high cost of heating oil my thoughts wander back to the times when coal was the primary fuel for furnaces. The coal truck would back up to a basement window and drop a load of coal into the coal bin and you went down when you needed to increase the heat and shovel some coal ontothe fire. It was cheap entertainment for the kids in the neighborhood also.

Quote Originally Posted by McT ontheRock71 View Post
    With the sky high cost of heating oil my thoughts wander back to the times when coal was the primary fuel for furnaces. The coal truck would back up to a basement window and drop a load of coal into the coal bin and you went down when you needed to increase the heat and shovel some coal ontothe fire. It was cheap entertainment for the kids in the neighborhood also.
    My hometown grade school still uses coal, Semper Fidelis.

I remember the coal bin and needing to build a fire in the mornings. My brother had that job since he was older. I remember helping to put the ashes out in the big galvanized cans. They sure were heavy

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Turned 61 today, the dirt is up to my knees now.

Happy Birthday Sgt. Jim and many more to come. I'll be 71 in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Jim View Post
    Turned 61 today, the dirt is up to my knees now.
    Happy Birthday Jim, Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sgt Jim, Best wishes to you on your sixty first birthday Brother. Hope you have many more to celebrate.
    OooRaahhh

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    With the approach of summer I start thinking about evening excursions to the Jersey Shore and walking the boardwalk with the kids. Back when I was a young man, the accepted dress for men was a suit and tie or sport coat, tie, and slacks. Spectator shoes were popular for "the Sports" to wear. The smell of cigar smoke and popcorn permeated the air. Women wore dresses and heels with rubber tips on them to prevent the shoe heels from wedging between the planks. Everyone looked like they were attending a wedding or some other special event. Today people dress more casually with shorts and tee shirts and shower shoes. Oh well, that was another time.

Wildwood, NJ under the Boardwalk. They used to have a teenage dance under a pier in the heart of Wildwood every weekend. I still spend a lot of time in Cape May.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    One night this weekend when sleep was evading me, I turned on the TV and started watching a movie filmed around the late fifties. I wasn't following the plot of the film so much as looking at the setting and props used during the shooting of the movie. As I watched a scene in an urban setting, I noticed a car being parallel parked along a curb. Looking closer, I noticed the car had curb feelers attached to the front fenders. I always thought that they were used by folks who were afraid of scraping the walls of their tires against the concrete curb or who just couldn't parallel park. I remember seeing them advertized in Pep Boys and J.C. Whitney catalogues.

50 aint older than dirt. but its 30 years since i stepped on the yellow footprints.

Just checking in.

Sort of late for this, but at age 79 I guess I am really older than dirt. I remember all the "stuff" posted..we had and did the same. Our icebox had a pan on the floor to catch the water from the melting ice block. Woe to the one who forgot to empty it before going to bed. We didn't get a T.V. until I was 15...I think we only had one station on and it went off at Midnight with the National Anthem played first. Then they had a test pattern on until the station started up. Can't remember what time that was...guess my age is showing! Boot camp was no where near what the young women experience today. We actually had to make an appointment for a "perm" to insure we looked "good" as well as squared away. We wore brown seersucker outfits with a skirt for drill and cleaning the squadbays. We called them "peanut suits"..that's what they looked like. Our utilities were nothing like the "camos" worn now. When I see the pictures on TV of current boot camp plus the intense training the women now have I have the greatest amount of respect for the new Marines who just happen to be females! Semper Fi...

A former marine was recently kidnapped in mexico please take your time and sign this petition so the government will do something about it.
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...orres/lcJbHhZ6

Hey silverdollar that's Sgt Preston of the Yukon. I think you have him mixed up with Sky King.

Thread Information