Are you older than dirt? - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    Good post, Ken, I remember those dinners.
    TV dinners. I think they still took an hour or so to cook in the oven back then.

Krystal Burgers @ $.07 each; "ducktail" haircuts; "sockhops"; roller skating; drive-in movies; manual choke cable in your car; "Charles Atlas" ads in the back of "Boy's Life Magazine and Hot Rod Magazine...

Used to listen to the Mets on one of these...

Penny candy strips that looked Like bacon but tasted Like
    coconut.
    Holloway suckers. paper strips with candy dots . Bazooka
    Joe bubble gum. Rock candy. Jaw breakers.

Some good old TV shows:

Toast of the Town (Later called The Ed Sullivan Show)
    The Original Amateur Hour
    77 Sunset Strip
    Name That Tune

I hated Saturday night because I was made to sit and watch the "Lawrence Welk's Dodge Dancing Party.

There was one old b & w western I can't remember the name of it. Had to do with the old Borax Mule Team. '20 Mule Team' or something. Anybody remember??

Lot of cigarette ads and NO lawyer ads.

One from a little more recent time and technology connected; anyone remember the 8" floppy disk? Held all of 128k,

Sempi

how about mr. potato head....hadto use a real potato to do his faces...

Credits
    Savings
    20 Mule Team Borax, yes----Death Valley Days, possibly?

Most of these things are on you tube....even things like The Cisco Kid, Sgt Preston of the Yukon.

That Sgt Preston of the Yukon, on TV and in comic books, was such an influence on me that five years before I finished college, I planned on driving to the Yukon Territory----and I did it, in a VW bug, which felt like a breadbox by the time I completed my 11,583 mile round trip to Circle, Alaska.
    Dave you are amazing, we've got the wrong people sitting on the supreme court

The water rockets, where you fill the plastic rocket with water and you pumpedit and then released it. I had hours of fun with that.

Semper FI my Brothers and Sisters

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    A&W Root Beer stand with carhop service.
    Chicks on roller skates .

Now that was a Saturday night out !!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Somebody was talking about BrelCream, my dad was a barber and even had Hopalong Cassidy hair tonic which was white. I was scolded many times because I picked up the phone with a party line and listing in. My bike had duel baskets on back and one big one in the front to carry papers. I had 120 customers.
    My house now still has pull chain lights, being a Electrician I don't change it because I like everyone to see how it used to be. Our farmhouse is over 120 years old. Semper Fi Buddy

Aluminum Pennies.

Jack Armstrong The All American Boy on a box of Wheaties.

20 Mule Team Borax, yes----Death Valley Days, possibly?

Most of these things are on you tube....even things like The Cisco Kid, Sgt Preston of the Yukon.

That Sgt Preston of the Yukon, on TV and in comic books, was such an influence on me that five years before I finished college, I planned on driving to the Yukon Territory----and I did it, in a VW bug, which felt like a breadbox by the time I completed my 11,583 mile round trip to Circle, Alaska.
    USMC1963,
    You are correct. Death Valley Days Thanks

I can feel you on the VW bug trip. In 1960, I had gotten a fractured tibia playing football, and had to go on a Christmas trip from Northern Calif. to Oklahoma, in a '59 VW bug. I was in the back seat, with a cast on my right leg, from my upper thigh to my ankle. Maybe 4500 miles, but it took FOREVER.

Lenny,
    The Potato Head was the very first toy, ever advertised on TV.

Doc,
    I remember the water rockets well. Actually got in big trouble once in grammer school, when the paper boys were giving them away for a paper subscription. I went through at least 4 of them before I realized I just signed my dad up for a years worth of the daily paper. Simpler times.

Semper Fi
    Sempi

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Seven more days and pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training. I remember when Philadelphia had two teams, the Phillies and the A's. St Louis had two also The Cardinals and the Browns, Boston had the Braves, Brooklyn had the Dodgers and New York's second team was the Giants. World Series games were played in the afternoon in early October. Those were great days!

McT OUT!

Thread Information