Are you older than dirt? - Page 9
Create Post
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Hot Wheels and Matchbox Cars...even Twister...

Never ever rolled my levi's up on the outside, always on the inside.

Anyone remember Peggers. They were kakhi in color or black and the bottom at the cuff was tapered down where you could barley get your foot through. Almost like a zoot suit. Zoot Suits were what the Hispanic community wore in those days.

Instead of heel taps does anyone remember the Horse Shoe Taps that went on the shoe heel. Looked just like a small horse shoe. Also made lots of noise when walking.

White socks and penny loafers...

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Never ever rolled my levi's up on the outside, always on the inside.

Anyone remember Peggers. They were kakhi in color or black and the bottom at the cuff was tapered down where you could barley get your foot through. Almost like a zoot suit. Zoot Suits were what the Hispanic community wore in those days.

Instead of heel taps does anyone remember the Horse Shoe Taps that went on the shoe heel. Looked just like a small horse shoe. Also made lots of noise when walking.
    Most boys had taps on their shoes. We actually had shoe shops, where you could have new soles and heels put on instead of buying new ones. A lot of us boys had flat tops. If you was real cool, you had a Hollywood flat top, and wore your collar turned up.

I remember car coats but do you remember six button bennies and pegged pants.

I wore peggers.

Used to also wear cordroy pants that were a very light color and as they got dirty the better they were. You could take them off and stand them in the corner for the next day. Those were some tough trousers.

Bicycles without the chain guard. Had metal clips to clip on the right trouser leg so the trousers did not get caught in the chain.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Knickers.
    Today the Women call them " Capri Pants " HA !!!

Hey Rocky, Did you also have high top shoes with the knickers?(Sorry peddle pushers/clam diggers)

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yes I did Willie.

Turtle necks and Dickies, Semper Fidelis.

I get a little turtle neck when it's cold out.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Good old day Semper Fi Buddy003.jpg

Good one,lol,Semper Fidelis.

I remember those good old days. I was just talking to a fellow teacher about the backpacks the kids carry around the elementary school. They weigh about as much as the kids..or at least it looks like it. Safety rules say that the younger kids are to ride to school, either by bus or car, if they have to cross certain main streets that are considered a hazard. In the Afternoon when they get out the parents have to have a specific type of sign to identify them as the correct parent/"ride home" to help prevent kidnapping by the wrong parent or stranger.

Most of us remember the days when you didn't take anything home from elementary school that didn't fit in your pockets. I got out of school, played, and got home in time for supper. As a matter of fact, at my first elementary school we could go home for lunch. It was an hour break in the middle of the day. I went home when the weather was good before my mother started working. A hot bowl of soup and a sandwich sure hit the spot. Back when we had neighborhood schools, there were no buses. Kids walked and were healthy even with the metal drinking glasses and lead paint. Party lines worked just fine for those who couldn't afford a private line, and if you couldn't afford your own phone, you could use a neighbors in an emergency. Like was mentioned above, people would invite others over to watch TV. You would watch shows like Ed Sullivan and never worry about and bleeps or some gal showing three-quarters of her boobs on TV. It was a different time and I am glad I grew up then. I remember when I was a small kid and my mother bought me a cardigan sweater. I pitched a fit that only girls wore buttoned-up sweaters. Then I saw Perry Como wearing one on his show and it was OK and I wore it after that. Turning your cuffs up on your jeans and dumping a cup of dirt on your bedroom floor when you took them off..LOL

Those were the days.

PS - One military high school I attended in Germany had a smoking room for students! If you had written permission, you could go in there and smoke when you were not in class!

You did not want to be left handed back when I was in school. If the teacher caught you writing with your left hand they would strike your knuckles on the left hand with a ruler and tell you to put the pencil in your right hand.

I was always glad that I was right handed. Oh Yea and you did not ever ask WHY.

To this day my wife writes with either one of her hands, because of this. She also attended grammer school in a one room school in the Sierra/Nevada mountains.

Thread Information