Tax question - can I claim my Marine son?
Create Post

Tax question - can I claim my Marine son?

My son left for boot camp on July 15th and graduated in October. Last week he graduated from ITB and became stationed at Camp Lejeune. Anybody know tax implications? My assumption is that I can still claim him as a dependent but I am not sure. He was 19 when he left for boot camp. Anyone know if I can claim him or not?

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    First observation
    your profile is lacking Intel ----
    this needs to be addressed.

Best answer I can give you on the question.
    see a tax professional --- maybe turbo tax addresses this issue ?

Gut feeling, since you are not supporting him since ( ) you can not claim him as a dependent after (date)

I would talk with professional I agree.

I would also say no as well, since he worked in 2012 even though it was bootcamp he was getting paid. So the Marine Corps is going to give him a W-2 for his time starting july

I am in contact with my accountant on this question. He replied today via email that I can claim him, but he did not go into detail. I expect it may have something to do with the fact that his legal address is still my home up until he received permanent orders after ITB to go to Lejeune. Children are allowed to have W2's and still be claimed as dependents by the parents. I have been doing this for several years, though the kids were still students at the time. I even was randomly picked for an IRS audit 2 yrs ago and they found nothing wrong with my claims. I'll post back here when I get an explanation from the accountant.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I believe you can claim him if he actually lived with you for more than 6-months AND you paid more than 50% of his living expenses.

I still claim my 20-year old daughter as a dependent as she lives with me, is a full-time college student, and I pay more than 50% of her living expenses. The fact that she has had a job during the year is immaterial as long as I pay more than 50% of her living expenses.

Next year you'll be out of luck to claim him.

You came to the right place to find an answer to your question...plenty of sea lawyers here.

Credits
    Savings
    If you have an accountant--- why are you asking for answers on this site ?

I SAY AGAIN---YOUR PROFILE NEEDS FILLING OUT ( not a lot-- but does need attention)

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    If you have an accountant--- why are you asking for answers on this site ?

I SAY AGAIN---YOUR PROFILE NEEDS FILLING OUT ( not a lot-- but does need attention)
    I looked today at my profile and added a couple of things. I don't understand what more people could possible want to know about me?

I posted the question on this forum because this is a forum for parents of Marines. I assume that 90% of the parents of Marines faced this same exact question that I am facing and would be able to tell me what their experience was. I simultaneously asked the question to my accountant. I thought I would get an answer more quickly on this forum as I assumed my accountant would be very busy this time of year. As it turns out, he answered me within 24 hours, though did not give me an explanation as to why I was still allowed to claim my son as a dependent for 2012.

Only one person can claim a sole on Taxes. If your son claims himself, then you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by jp2usmc View Post
    Only one person can claim a sole on Taxes. If your son claims himself, then you can't.
    OK, I'll have the accountant figure out which way has the biggest cost benefit.

I went into the Marines in May at 17 my mother stopped claimimg me that year my money my job you better talk to your son about it

Nothing a young Marine likes better than to think of himself as daddy's dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Nothing a young Marine likes better than to think of himself as daddy's dependent.
    Purely a financial decision. Whichever route results in the lowest taxes paid will be what we do. If I get a bigger benefit by claiming him that's what I'll do. Will help pay for the Glock I bought him when he graduated boot camp and the Danners I bought him when he graduated ITB.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I would agree with the other responses, check with him and make sure he doesn't intend to file independently. My parents claimed me while I was in college, even though I worked and had my own W-2s they still provided 50% of my expenses. If you do claim him, be sure to check the state laws for military memebers. Taxes for military members tend to be complicated and they often provide assistance in house to figure them out.

Quote Originally Posted by jp2usmc View Post
    This^ My mom was angry when she couldn't claim me because I claimed my taxes myself the first year out of the house.

Thread Information