Could use some assistance Devil Dogs..
Create Post

Could use some assistance Devil Dogs..

Semper Fidelis Marines,

I am a newly promoted SGT of Marines. Just reenlisted and have been at my new unit for 3 months. So far I hate it. And it saddens me that my motivation is running out. So now, I have decided that becoming a Drill Instructor may be my silver lining. The question I have is, being so new to my station, am I allowed to put in my package and if so, will the so little time on station kick me out of consideration?? And if the gods will is that I become a creator of Marines, how is school? and how is it on my wife?

Fair Seas, and Following Winds Marines

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Congrats Sgt....I can't help with the DI thing but best of luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Wifes Take on the DI thing (?) not necessarily good.
    Think of the Assingment as a live in babysitter with your lovely getting what's leftover
    as to attention.

I can't speak to DI divorce rates,perhaps some DIs on this site can .

Agreed a carrer is necessary, but let's put it into perspective.
    What is more important to you ?

As to how soon can you put in a package, have you talked to your chain of command ?
    What do they say ?

I had a Marine (retired) tell me once he "works to live"
    Specifically does not "live to work"

Been to D.I. School at SD, but that was in 1966 and I doubt that it is the same now.

When I attended the school it was like going through Recruit Training for the 2nd time.
    The difference was that we got liberty. Do not move your wife until you have completed D.I. School as many get dropped.

Once on the field you have duty every third night depending on how many Drill Instructors you have in your platoon.

Forget about the divorce rate of D.I.'s. A whole lot of that is because some marines would rather go to the local gin mill when they get off duty, instead of going home to be with their family.

I did 7 years at MCRD, SD and it was the best duty I had in the Corps. Good luck to you.

OK lets break this down.
    1st. your a field radio operator and your having to carry the Radio around. Did you reenlist for that MOS or what?
    2nd. if you enlisted for that MOS stay with it and do your job.
    3thd.. Do your job well and then get promoted too 0629 Radio Chief at S/Sgt. you'll have it made. Give it at least one year then after that then shoot for Drill Instructor..
    Your MOS is very important and needed so hang in there..

Hey Old Marine, I was at MCRD in '68. Did you know S/Sgts Sterling or Napier or Gunny Maglaughlin? I still think those guys were the best Marines it has been my privledge to have known

I knew a SSgt. Sterling. Can't say I remember the other two. Sorry.

Stick it out, It could be worse where you go next.

Stick it out. The biggest gripe my friends would tell me is the lack of sleep espically as a new hat.

Thats funny, I got the same amount of sleep as a rookie D.I. that I got as a senior D.I.

Happiness is a choice. If you're miserable now, you will be at the next place. DI Duty may be worse than what you have now.

When did you know him Old Marine? And where? The Sterling I knew was a DI at San Diego when I went thru in May '69.

Quote Originally Posted by ridingcrops View Post
    When did you know him Old Marine? And where? The Sterling I knew was a DI at San Diego when I went thru in May '69.
    I knew him at MCRD, SD in that same time period.

Thread Information