Pre-boot camp questions
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Pre-boot camp questions

Hello Marines,

I have been looking in to enlisting for a while now to better myself, find purpose and serve my country. I already have computer and network technician certifications, so I was wondering if I should try to avoid infantry. I do not want to sit a desk, but at the same time if I would be of better use to the Corps in a more technical position then so be it. I was curious what some suggestions were on MOS's, as much as I hate to ask because I'm sure there have been threads like this. Talking to recruiters is difficult because it is hard to get an honest opinion. I also have a few misc. questions below. Thank you Marines, best of luck to all of you.

Red.
    ---

Misc. Q's

1. If I enlist with a friend, and we select the same MOS's, what are our chances of being placed together?

2. Where are most Marines deployed? Where will I most likely end up?

3. Were YOU very physically fit before you went to boot camp?

4. How is communication from the field, to home now that e-mails are more common?

Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 01-19-13 at 10:46 AM.

Thread closed until you have a complete profile........site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. When profile is complete, PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum and thread will be re-opened.

Profile complete......thread re-opened.

try to get a job YOU want to do. I realize there is a needs of the Marine Corps, but you are your only advocate. If you enjoy working with computers and are good at it, you SHOULD try to do something related to that as you will probably fill that role better than someone who doesnt have experience or doesnt want to but gets put there. But if you dont want a deskjob, dont ask for one.

1. If I enlist with a friend, and we select the same MOS's, what are our chances of being placed together?
    I know there is a buddy system type deal so you go through bootcamp together, then you would cycle into the next MOS school together. At this point I think it gets less certain, BUT depending on how willing your command is to work with you I believe there is a good chance of being together especially if you come through at the same time, it would be more risky if you and him go to bootcamp on different dates. When you are at MOS school, do well and get to know your command and leaders and Id think they would be willing to try to work that if possible. (they have certain slots that need to be filled, why not fill it with two friends wanting to go together)

2. Where are most Marines deployed? Where will I most likely end up?
    I havent deployed yet(im pretty new) but most seem to be to the middle-east area. And there are also meu's deploying on a ship where you might go to east asia aka like phillipines. (assuming you mean where will you be stationed when you say "end up" Probably the 3 big USMC bases. Cali/NorthCarolina/hawaii... at least statistically speaking. (says the guy stationed in England... lol)

3. Were YOU very physically fit before you went to boot camp? i was in the dep program for like 6 months plus... honestly i wasnt that fit. 5"9 150 skinny build. Im still the same, although im trying to put on some mass.
    1.5 miles in like 11 minutes, 12 pull ups, 100 crunches(but crunches are easy...) Now im at 21minute 3 mile, 20 pull ups and 100 crunches. I wish I came in being able to do 20 pull ups... better score for promotion. (with regards to PFT)

4. How is communication from the field, to home now that e-mails are more common?
    I havent been deployed so I can say, though I see people who are deployed pop up on facebook occasionally and say hi, etc so id assume your able to email occasionally.

Ive been in just over 2 years so just sharing what i can.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you very much for your reply s4m, I really appreciate it. Best of luck to you and I am glad to see a reply so quickly.

More replies are still welcomed, and encouraged.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Lava Dog, I have read through most of the site. I have considered enlisting for some some time now, and am just trying to get my final worries settled before I sign. I feel I should read some opinions before I make my own choice. The only reference I have really, is a friend who was in artillery He enlisted in 99 and he isn't sure if things have changed. Thank you very much Lava Dog, I appreciate the help. Good luck always.

Replies still welcomed and encouraged

Thread Information