Mos suggestions?
Create Post

Mos suggestions?

Hello Marines,

It is almost that time to walk through the recruiter's doors, so the quest to gain as much knowledge as I can truly begins. Although being a current wannabe, I hope to enlist and stay in the Corps for as long as I can. Knowing that your ultimate mos has practically everything to do with Corps needs, I wondering if a few Marines could shed some light on a few possible suggestions or recommendations. Are there any more stable career mos fields than others? Did you enjoy your particular field? I will appreciate all information. Thank you for your time and service Marines.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 01-17-13 at 04:51 PM.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    It's all what you make of it and how good of a Marine you are. I know a few guys who are in what is considered to be "bad" MOS' but have had awesome careers so far. They are great Marines who got into B-Billets(special jobs). I also know others who are/were in are what to be considered great MOS' but were less than stellar Marines, hated their life, recently got out, and all they do is bad mouth the Corps.

Thank you for the response. Do you like your mos?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    Thank you for the response. Do you like your mos?
    No I don't but I am not the best example or best person to ask that because first off I am a reservist so I didn't really get a choice. And second my MOS is kind of obsolete, I haven't even trained on or worked within my MOS since the school house 4 years ago. Even when I deployed I didn't work with my MOS, I got attached to a security platoon with a bunch of MP's.

This again only illustrates my poin

Oh, well thanks again sir for your insight.

Ok, thank you sir. Your website has helped me alot.

Credits
    Savings
    one of the best MOS's is now gone south with the ages

Butts-puller, on the range for flame throwers.

Use your brains,, don't go looking in our minds what will
    make you happy in yours....

Plan ahead,,, THINK about it,, it,s your future

Thank you sir.

One thing you need to remember when it comes to MOS's (like other things in the military) is someone other than yourself, or a computer in some cases, will be making the final decision. There was a poolee here recently who wanted to be in the infantry. But, when it came down to it, the only MOS he was offered was accountant. At that point, you have to really ask yourself what's more important to me, becoming a Marine (and making the best out of your MOS situation), or only enlisting with a MOS that you want. Point is, you can put a lot of thought into the MOS's that interest you, get opinions from others, do tons of research, etc. and none of that will play a part in the MOS you actually end up with. Sometimes, some things are just a crap shoot.

I was in the admin field and enoyed it (otherwise, would not have stayed for 22.6 years). Of course, I did spend probably half that time out of my MOS on special duty assignments, at formal schools, etc. The aspect of being in admin I liked the best was being in a position to help other Marines (making sure their pay was squared-away, preparing a new reenlistment contract, typing up their leave papers, helping them find the appropriate publication they needed, as examples). Another aspect I liked was the ability to be assigned anywhere. I worked in a Combat Engineer Battalion, Aviation Squadron, Infantry Training School, base and Fleet Marine Forces units both stateside and overseas. I also completed tours of independent duty away from any bases.

Like was already stated above, it's all what you make it. It will never be easy and you'll have to work hard every day. You'll never make enough money and still have to sacrafice. You'll be gone more than home. You'll be expected to put the needs of the USMC above your own. Your mission always comes first. It's not for everybody and there's a reason it's called "joining the service"...you join to serve and to be a part of something larger than yourself.

When are you going to talk to a recruiter?

Credits
    Savings
    Well said TOP.

The NewCorps is seeming to get like the old days......."Doesn't
    matter what you're wishing for"

Now , the quickest way in, is let them put you where they need you.
    Be ready though with a good choice if choice is offered.

There's always the potential for any recruit to end up in combat,
    Nothing says it only happens to grunts.

I really do appreciate all the help/advice. I'll be talking to a recruiter by the end of the year.

Thread Information