Transferring Ribbons from Army
Create Post

Transferring Ribbons from Army

I was in the Army National Guard from Aug 2006 - Aug 2012 and just made the switch over to the Marine Corps in Oct 2012. Now that I'm back from boot camp and on RA, the recruiters and I weren't entirely sure which of the few ribbons I earned as a musician in the National Guard I'm authorized to wear, as each one had a differing opinion of what I'm allowed to keep. Any advice on which of these I still rate to wear?

Army Achievement Medal

National Defense - Was told at the moment of truth in boot camp that I should get a bronze star for this one. One recruiter believed that I shouldn't because we're still in the same conflict as my first enlistment.

Army NCO Professional Development Ribbon

Army Service Ribbon - We're all pretty sure you don't wear that one as a Marine

Idaho National Guard State Service Ribbon

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    National Defense only, if you have the warrant/citation for your Army Achievement Medal you may be able to turn that in to your chain of command and get a Navy Achievement Medal. That will be up to your CO/1st Sgt and whether or not what you got it for rates it.

Thanks for the reply! Any thoughts on the bronze star on the national defense?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBassoon View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Any thoughts on the bronze star on the national defense?
    you won't rate that being that your time in both services is during one conflict period. the national defense is awarded for service during different conflict periods.

Credits
    Savings
    Just curious ? Did the D.I.'s know you were former Army ? and if they did ? how did that go ? and congrats ! on becoming A Marine ! OOOOORAAAH

Credits
    Savings
    Congratulations MARINE !
    The awards you earned are yours----
    What you are authorized to wear on a Marine uniform, another story.
    Hold on to them -- ask your admin for a ruling.

I am also a "joint service" vetern.
    Marines first and Army later.
    Between both services I rate quite a few awards.
    Near the end of my service I had more than some C.O.s !

Thanks! It was definitely worth it to make the switch, though there were many times I would think to myself "Why am I making myself go through boot camp again?"

At first I thought I'd try and keep my prior service as much of a secret as possible around the DI's and other recruits, but during receiving there were so many times where they would ask for prior service recruits to come forward for extra admin stuff, so soon enough the secret was out. When my senior found out he didn't really care, though sometimes he would say things like "army strong, right?" He must not have told the other DI's, they seemed surprised when I talked about it with them at the end. I did accidentally say "Drill Sgt," in front of my senior once on fire watch to which he responded with, "wow, because I'm in the army too, right?"

Others in my platoon liked to tell the coaches at the range that I was prior Army so the coaches would pick on me. Table I was just friendly teasing but they mostly left me alone because I shot well and they even thanked me for my service at the end. The Table II coaches however were just extremely disrespectful and insulting.

But overall I wasn't treated too differently. The other recruits liked to ask questions about the differences between the two boot camps as we went along, so that was always fun to talk about.

OORAH!

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBassoon View Post
    Thanks! It was definitely worth it to make the switch, though there were many times I would think to myself "Why am I making myself go through boot camp again?"

At first I thought I'd try and keep my prior service as much of a secret as possible around the DI's and other recruits, but during receiving there were so many times where they would ask for prior service recruits to come forward for extra admin stuff, so soon enough the secret was out. When my senior found out he didn't really care, though sometimes he would say things like "army strong, right?" He must not have told the other DI's, they seemed surprised when I talked about it with them at the end. I did accidentally say "Drill Sgt," in front of my senior once on fire watch to which he responded with, "wow, because I'm in the army too, right?"

Others in my platoon liked to tell the coaches at the range that I was prior Army so the coaches would pick on me. Table I was just friendly teasing but they mostly left me alone because I shot well and they even thanked me for my service at the end. The Table II coaches however were just extremely disrespectful and insulting.

But overall I wasn't treated too differently. The other recruits liked to ask questions about the differences between the two boot camps as we went along, so that was always fun to talk about.

OORAH!
    Congrats, you were lucky you didn't have our SDI he hated the army, maybe it was something in Nam, he always told us when the army was in their dress greens they looked like a fvckin Christmas tree, lol, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

This is one of those issues where you will hear ten different opinions and might be lucky if you get a legitimate answer after ten opinions. You will be best served by familiarizing yourself on the relevant paragraphs of MCOP1020.34G (the Marine Corps Uniform Regulations). I’m not saying you need to be able to quote but I would have a solid understanding every time I wore medals or ribbons so I could entertain any questions that may come my way (as you will see, you will only get inquiries about the Army Achievement Medal most likely but you need to know why you are authorized to wear it and the proper precedence).

Chapter 5 of MCOP1020.34G covers the wear of awards in the Marine Corps. Paragraph 5100 authorizes “Marines who served in or were attached to another branch of the U.S. military services and received a decoration, unit award, or service award of comparable criteria to one issued by the naval service may wear the award on Marine Corps uniforms, unless otherwise prohibited by these regulations.” Paragraph 5100 further goes on to explicitly prohibit Marines from wearing the Army NCO Professional Development ribbon and Army Service ribbon. There is no conversion of awards to the equivalent naval service award; you are authorized to wear the award if there is a naval service award with comparable eligibility criteria.

The only conversion that is mentioned in MCOP1020.34G has to do with the Combat Infantryman’s Badge (CIB) or the Combat Medical Badge (CMB). The CIB and CMB are not authorized for wear on a Marine Corps uniform; however, commanders may authorize recipients to wear the Combat Action Ribbon. It is silent about the newer Combat Action Badge though.

Paragraph 5102 discusses precedence of similar awards from two or more services. It states that Marine Corps awards will take precedence followed by the others in the following precedence: Navy, Army, Air Force, and Coast Guard.

In your case, you are authorized to wear the Army Achievement Medal (equivalent to a Navy Achievement Medal) and the National Defense Service Medal. The Army NCO Professional Development Ribbon and the Army Service Ribbon are explicitly prohibited for wear on a Marine Corps uniform. The Idaho National Guard State Service Ribbon would NOT be authorized for wear since there is no equivalent naval service award. If you were to receive a Navy Achievement Medal, then it would have precedence over the Army Achievement Medal on a Marine Corps uniform. I would also make sure that your Marine Corps records reflect that you rate these awards in case some Marine decides to pull your records and check.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Welcome to the Forum Michael and Danny.

Outstanding answer to the OP's question Danny .
    Nothing left to add.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Thank you for the very thorough answer!

Thread Information