Question about preship training/Corpsman training
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question about preship training/Corpsman training

Good day Marines and Corpsman,

I'm not sure on the ettiqute for posting an intrduction post, or if this is even the correct place for this question. So I will begin by introducing myself, and I am apologize in advamce if this is in the wrong location.

My name is Chase Chappell, I am a 19 y/o EMT running with my local ambulance service in the civilian world. I am in Navy DEP scheduled to ship to boot 20130514 as a Hospital Corpsman(HM). My goal is to complete FMF school and deploy with/and provide care to the best warriors in the world.

I have done as much research as I can on my own to help me with an answer to my situation. However I have not been able to find an answer yet. So if I could get any input from Corpsman who can help answer my question I would greatly appreciate it!

My situation:
    By state standards I am a basic level EMT. Which does not allow my to perform IV's, IO, advanced airways(I.e. KING airways), or give IV/IM medications until I reach the advanced emergecy medical technician(AEMT) certification level. There is an AEMT course opening up February 5th. I have the ability to attend and certify this class before I ship out. My delema is the class will be quite expensive, upwards of $700, and I will not really be able to apply my knewly aquired skills at work before I ship out. However it will provide me the knowledge and skill set listed above before I begin A school.
    I relaize that my civilain certification level will not be recognized once I am in A school, and that I will be retaught the same information. However in my mind it would be benificial to enter A school, and FMF school with a good footing and knowledge base. I may be wrong.

My question:
    Would it be benifical to pay the money, attend the AEMT course, and gain that medical knowledge before I ship? Or will it make any difference? I realize that I will be taught relatively the same skills and possibly in a different manner than previously learned. With that said it is my opinion that knowledge is power, and I want to be able to provide the best possible care to my future Marines and sailors.

As I said previously any information or input would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you for your time!

Respecfully,
    Chase