Deceased Father with errors on DD214
Create Post

Deceased Father with errors on DD214

My dad just passed away. He was in Vietnam and has a purple heart. On his DD214 the only thing listed in his awards block is NatDefServMed. It seems to me he should have his purple heart and at least the Vietnam campaign medal listed. He was in the USMC from 1969 to 1972 and was in Vietnam for a tour. He was shot in country in the thigh. I have seen his purple heart although we do not know where he kept it. My mom is searching for it. If any of you could give me any information it would be helpful.

At his funeral we were under the impression he would get the 3 round volley but when the Marines arrived it was only for a flag folding. Not sure if he did not rate the 3 rounds or if he was robbed of it b/c of a clerical error.

I want to get the DD214 corrected b/c I think he should be honored for what he did and what he lost.

Thank you in advance.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thread Closed.

Fill out your profile completely.
    Site Rules.

Site Rules: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...NG-MARINES-TOO!

Contact any Squad Leader to reopen thread when profile is completed.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thread Reopened.

Susie;
    Sorry for the loss of your father. The 3 rounds you ask about are part of full military honors. To recieve this you must pass on active duty or be retired from military service. All veterans honorably discharged rate a flag. For the awards I would contact your local Veterans Service Officer they can help you fill out the forms, and I would request his service records to. They should research it and send you everything your Dad rated. You can go online and do it yourself, but the service officer might be the easy way to go plus they can help amend his DD 214 if the awards are not on there, and he rates them.. Which ever way you go just know it will not happen over night. Good luck

Thank you so much for the information.

Thread Information