Things your 2nd LT did
Create Post

Things your 2nd LT did

I'm commissioning and want a better handle on my place as a Lieutenant in our great Corps. So have at it Marines, what did your officers do that I can learn from?

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    same things you don't do as an enlisted Marine

Don't get relieved of command because....

-You lost a piece of your own serialized gear
    -Didn't account for your Marines serialized gear
    -Didn't change manifests to higher when losing or adding a Marine
    -Passed incorrect word
    -sending classified documents to wrong command/higher

And yes these things really happened, there was a few other minor things that happened that were part of his being relieved. really think about every action you take no matter how minor you may think it is, it could turn into something bigger. and fess up to and be a man about the actions you do take, don't pass them down as your SSgt. or Sgt. problem

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    One of mine actually was a MustangoE-6 with A Co.3rd Recon in early 60's Viet Nam became our Co Xo & then CO & saved my Plt's Bacon by calling them Airstrikes all around Us and not on Us! GodBless Yah Capt.R.E.Hoover Sr. From the Survivors of India 3/26 3rd.Plt Dec.8 1968 Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Don't "get off the boat" arrive in country and be sent on a recon mission
    With an experianced team.
    When you draw fire in high grass order the team leader to prepare to charge.
    Team leader exercises common sense and refuses the order.
    You as the green LT fuss and threaten to bring charges etc.
    Arrive back at base and tell the 1st --all about disrespect disobey orders etc.
    1st verifies in front of LT
    Says thank you SSG. dismissed
    LT is shipped out (parts unknown)

Credits
    Savings
    Basic rule
    Don't do a "stupid" just because you have the rank.
    Listen to your NCOs -- they may have street smarts that keep you alive.

The final decision is yours but use your chain to help you arrive at sensible decisions.

Travis, do not be one of those a**hole 2nd LTs who think they are God's gift to the Marine Corps, scream any every Marine under their command, doesn't lead by example, and does not do what he expects whose he is charged with to do.

Rather:

Lead by example and influence. (Reserve the "righteous indignation" for rare instances it is warranted or you will be ignored.)
    Never ask your Marines to do anything you are not willing to do.
    Listen to your NCOs and Staff NCOs who are experienced and know what they are talking about.
    Do not micromanage.

Best officer I worked under was prior enlisted and received battlefield commission. He let his Marines do their job and only stepped in when needed. He lead by example, trusted his NCOs, and had an innate ability to peg the sh!+bird NCOs and Staff NCOs quickly.

you are not God no matter what they tell you at ROTC or OCS you are the PVT of the Officer Corps and need to learn

Well they have to start some place with them butter bars, I took care of quite a few of them on the Rock, from what I have seen when they make Capt. they usually have their poop in a group, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

If this were back in the early years,62-74, I would advise you to keep your head down, listen to your noncoms, been there done that, just maybe you'll come back alive. My XO was an enlisted Sgt with a battlefield commission to Capt. One of the best Officers I ever served under!!! Good luck in your career. Semper Fi!!!

Thread Information