life after disability?
Create Post

life after disability?

ok so once you recieve a disability rating that will no longer let you reenlist or go to ocs, what jobs can you find? d.c. isn't enough to raise a family off of comfortably and what else is there to do or look forward in the future?

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    G.I. Bill, financial aid, go to school, get a part time job to supplement, and make a better life for yourself and your family.

I don't know what your disability is, I am also not trying to sound disrespectful with what I am about to say but....You can't sit around feeling sorry for yourself expecting people and employers to take care of you because of your service and disability.

I am not disabled but I found this out the hard way when I got home from Afghanistan. I know alot of Marines/service members go through the same when they get home. That feeling that everyone owes you something, employers should offer jobs, etc..But this just isn't the case. If you can you need to get out there, make yourself known, network and sell yourself. Don't sit back and wait from something to be offered or to fall in your lap.

No disrespect taken...i understand exactly what you mean and im not on that boat, either way at the end of the day it falls on me to take care of my family. I guess what im asking is more on the lines of who is eligible to hire /or can certain jobs (anything law enforcement, fire department..etc) can they NOT hire you because of sealed files in the va system? Legally I read that they can not access those files, but yet my buddy had to pass a "mental evaluation" so thats how this arose.

and to also piggy back off that who is "more friendly" to hiring vets? I know boarder patrol gave me 10 extra points for being a veteran

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I am not real sure about the "sealed file" thing. I know federal agencies have access to them, I am currently in the preliminary process of getting into a 3-letter agency. But I don't know about state/local level, I wouldn't think so...

Being in Texas you should have plenty of places being pro-veteran and other veterans that you can network with. Get in touch with your local Marine Reserve, National Guard, or VA center. They usually have tons of opportunities for jobs, pretty good ones too, out in town and around the area that are looking for veterans specifically.

Police Dept's have been doing mental and Psy tests for years now for all applicants, they are not signaling you out. Go take the tests, your MC training should be a plus.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If there is a Mountain in your way move that mountain!Give Voc.Rehab a try,Or get that Veteran preference a try and go Postal USPS pretty darn good $ for sorting Mail or driving a Fork lift and moving bulk mail bags around.Semper Fi and GoodLuck

Thanks been looking almost all night and found some decent jobs just hope some of them go through

If you are seeking a federal job go to USAJobs, the central recruiting site for all federal employment. I was 100% disabled and petitioned for a re-rate and rec'vd 80%. Been working for federal agency for five years now, best job I've ever had. Management great and considerate. I had vision problem, they bought me a larger monitor. Recently shrapnel in my leg acting up and needed to help circulation. I got a new ergonomic chair. I have a very responsible position so it's not stuffing envelopes. What I'm trying to say, I'm very grateful Uncle Sam offered me this opportunity. It can be same for you, too. If you need help completing required forms, VA can help you. Or, I'll be more than happy to direct you. Semper fi, bro.

First thing to do after PEB rates you once you SEP is to go to the VA.

File a claim for your disabilities. Once you get rated by them if over 30% you get Voc Rehab as F.F.68 stated.

If the PEB rated you at 20% and below and gave you servernce pay, the VA will recoup that money back.

Oh when taxes are taken out, have VA give you paper work to take to the IRS to get that tax money back. Since VA is non taxable.

Alot of us learned about it but could find the form until it was too late.

If your PEB 30-50% your on TDRL Temporary Retired List, basically your retired from the Marines until your final doctors session. You have two of them during your 3 years on the list. If they clear you non fit at the final session you will be medically retired from the Marines.

Now depending on your disability(ies), there is alot out here but you need to have patience. It is still hurry up and wait.

Start looking into what you want to do now, not when you get home. Focus on 2 ideas at least so you have another route to go.

As for employer looking at your records , your DD214 page 4 states what your discharge is so they will know.

S/F,
    CEYA!

I work for the VA Regional Office in Philadelphia. There are no "sealed files".

@ SSGT Fl1946
    How did you petetion to lower your disability form number? also I was under the impression that you could not collect disability and work a federal or dod job?

@Ceya
    I dont understand this statement (im above that 50%)...So if i'm medically retired as a Cpl or Sgt then do i recieve retirement pay due to va disability rating since i can't reenlist?
    If your PEB 30-50% your on TDRL Temporary Retired List, basically your retired from the Marines until your final doctors session. You have two of them during your 3 years on the list. If they clear you non fit at the final session you will be medically retired from the Marines

@
    spotts thanks brotha it's nice to know someone out there can tell the truth, since yaaa some stuff i cant say but well i'll put it this way i wouldnt call the crisis line unless i was dead

Semper Fi

I should have been more precise using "petition," Henry. Approx six months after being rated 100%, I was hired by federal agency. At that time I submitted a letter to VA with notice of this change. They, in turn, re-rated me to 80%. The VA apparently reviews this status annually or bi-annually (I rec'vd letter from them reconfirming status last month). Trust this clarifies my statement. Thank you for your service.

Semper fi,

That clears it up thank you fl1946 Semper Fi

Thread Information