Recruiting process frustrations.....
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recruiting process frustrations.....

Fellow Poolees and various on looking Marines I'd like to have some insight on this problem thats really starting to **** me off.

This process seems so ****ed up and I feel I'm being put off or lied to when I see others just zoom right through it with no problems and eventually ship out.

I'm tired of the bs projections and lack of communication.

I was assigned a new Recruiter due to my original Recruiter leaving. I had to lose weight and did so. Got the my ship weight, signed initial contact and thats it. First it was the medical paper work holding me up so I eventually went down to the hospital myself and got them. I have a SF-85P Clearance already but when my job was making people go for SF-86 Clearances through the EQUIP system I kept all my paper work and submitted it to my current Recruiter. He said that would speed this process up and from there my "package" was sent to the Docs. It's been nearly 2 months and my medread has not been processed yet. It's seriously demotivating me and making me want to just blow the **** up in the RS but I let it go and keep it professional. How long does this medread process take?

I popped up to the RS yesterday to find the Regional RS Marine *I don't know what to call him* was there. I talked to him and he asked about my medical history, I told him and he said non of that would of held you back. He asked the SNCO Recruiter there how long my paper work has been up there and he flat out lied. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to hender my current problems and get him chewed out more then what he was getting when I walked in. He told him it's only been 2 weeks when its been a month and a half.

I know the Corps is hitting numbers and doesn't need as many bodies so they really dont care but I've seriously worked for this. My proving grounds was the weight and I've gotten there. It ****es me off to see Poolees ship who cant finish the 1.5 without walking or not being able to do atleast 5 proper pull ups. I'm seriously bitting my lip on talking ****.

Hopefully yesterdays meeting did something and when the Master Sgt told the SNCO Recruiter to make sure he finds out something in the morning that he really does it instead of it being a front.

If I justed wanted to be in the military and not care what branch I went into I'd do the little "I'm going to talk to another branch who knows how to get **** done" but I seriously want to become a Marine.

Maybe this is more of a vent thread but fck man......I hate being ****ed over especially since I find this **** childish.

If any at all can help please give me some insight into what I need to do. Also, I'm denied access to the "Ask a Marine" forums so thats why I posted in here.

Thanks to all who've read and care to even answer

Just dont let your recruiter forget about you, obviously dont annoy the hell out of your recruiter remember he is your Liaison (SP?) into the Marines.

Now I see you ship out November 28th you still have a long way to go before you get to your ship date. There aren't really even many jobs available at the moment im not sure what you are searching for but jobs dont open up till June or July at the earliest. I just took the DLAB yesterday (i prolly could have taken it sooner but thats when i was able to be free) and now after having been in the DEP for almost 2 months I can finally apply for my MOS contract.

This is the US government you are dealing with, might I suggest you get used to the Hurry up and Wait theory. This theory states that you move as fast as you can and then wait as long as needed to get the job done. When you are enlisted I am sure you will be doing a lot of this.

Example at the MEPS yesterday we got there at about 0430 0500 I had finished my DLAB by 0730 0800 or so I didnt end up leaving the MEPS till about 1330 I spent 6 hours just sitting waiting to go home.

I can understand where you are coming from feeling frustrated about feeling as if you are being over looked maybe you are maybe you are not, tough part is there isnt much out there for you right now anyways. Its just the nature of the beast

I also wouldnt say it is your age I just turned 27 at the end of last month and my recruiter is working his damndest to get me in. Just be cool with your recruiter while still respecting him. Dont let him bully your or take control of the situation. Even speak with him up front say heres how I feel here is where I am coming from I would like to see if we can fix this. Right now is the only time you have to negotiate anything. Like applying for a job its the only time you get to negotiate.

Sure eventually there will not be any I for you and for us but right now the I is what really matters its 4 years of YOUR life not his. just like everything else in life it will not be given it must be earned wether you have to scratch your way to the top or you are lucky and breeze through its all what you make of it just like everything else. Dont see it as a hindrence or anything like that it ain't no thang. Once you are standing in those yellow foot prints it will all be worth it.

ETA:had to double tap time for editing had passed.

Great advice Munky, thank you for both of your replies.

I understand about the age but shouldn't that be more of a reason to push somebody through the process faster? I came in with more of my paper work being squared away and I ASSUMED it would just blow past. Once I got wind of a couple of the mishaps my Recruiter has done I've just let it go or I went ahead and did it. He said he couldn't get a copy of my birth certificate so I went and got one, he did fax for my med docs but I got tired of waiting so I went to the hospital and got them. I wanted to make it easy for him while making sure I was accounted for. I came in with Clearance paper work in hand and already had one, that eliminated the time he had to put in for doing that.

Maybe my patience is running thin and looking at others is just really starting to mess with my head.

Bro, I work for the Gov't as a Fed Contractor so I know about the hurry up and wait or "tell them some bs to keep faith in them until it comes" but that doesn't work half the time.

You just tend to become more aware of things you didnt want to see because when you want something you go head first for it.

Man, I went from hitting the gym 6 days a week to forcing myself to dedicate 3 days a week. Thats how much my motivation has died because the progression stages have slowed drastically. Maybe my confidence in knowing I can do what needs to be done gets in the way but you know what I think now?, "well he's not going to call this week so **** it.....I'm tired and I've been on my feet all day I'm going home" knowing I should keep conditioning my body and usually my mind/heart wants to work out.

Thats a PROJECTION date just like March 28 was a PROJECTION date also. Nothing is set man, that ****es me off. Many of the Poolees don't want to or just are that clueless but I like to keep on top of things and know things that concern me. I view the projection board, I ask what jobs are open, I keep up on info that many wouldn't. Its stuff you should know because it concerns you and your future ahead of you.

One big problem is something I do with everything I do and have grown to instill in myself. My demeanor of, "Treat others how you'd like to be treated" affects alot of my actions and thoughts. I know how it is to be disappointed so I try not to disappoint people, respect, manners, etc.

Anyways, thanks again man, seriously thank you.

Well everything is a projection a phrase Ive seen the Marines use in other sections that seems true is Semper Gumby always flexible. The projections can always change like when you sign your MOS contract your ship date could change could move up could move back. Everything changes per needs of the Corps once you swear in thats how your life is for at least the next 4 to 5 years.

Just keep focused on what you are trying to accomplish and why you are doing what you are doing. Just making it to Parris Island is seeming quite the task for me and I dont mean just dealing with enlisting life in general seems to toss a wrench in the gears sometimes too.

Also mishaps are not uncommon They may be Marines but Marines are still people and unfortunately the human experience is fraught with mistakes. Also do keep in mind that your recruiter works long, long, LONG hours. My recruiter shows up between 0530 and 0700 depending on wether they have PT that day or not and leaves between 1800 and 22 2300 if hes got to take some one to MEPS and all the paperwork they have to keep track of and all the poolees they have to take care of it is no easy task I do not envy the job they have to do in the least.

Id suggest trying what I advised before talk to him in person man to man and just leave it at that. That way you at least are letting him know how you feel and at least you can find out what he has to deal with. You'll probably get more accomplished that way too.

Try to get stuff set in stone, I dont go to my recruiting station often but i do make my call EVERY wednesday like I am supposed to do and if I need to set soIething up with him I call him just about every day leading up to the day just to make sure everything is going according to plan. Seems to be working out pretty well so far.

Thanks again for the advice Munky. I'm suprised nobody else could even drop some sort of words in but eh.....**** em......

I got a "renewed" faith in him now. He looked out for me by getting my money back for being charged to get my med docs and on something else.

Time to stop being grouchy and training!

Glad to see you're doing better.

Before you posted I was going to say I completely understand. Recently I just DEP'd in on April 1st, while waiting 6 months to do so. I had to get an exception to policy on all of my tattoo's (the last one being a three leaf clover on my front deltoid after having to go to the police task force to make sure it wasn't gang related, apparently it is the sign for the Aryan Brotherhood). I got an 83 on my ASVAB, had to do two IST while waiting to be DEP'd in, so they could send it with my package in order to get approved ( 10:30 1.5 Mile, 17 Pullups, 83 crunches) and 5 MEPS visits.
    Then at the 2 month mark, they told me people at Paris Island lost my package, so they resubmitted. At the 3 month mark, I was deleted from the system; apparently if you are not dep'd in after 3 months, the system deletes you.

Finally after 6 months, I dep'd in on April 1st. Patience man, is all I can say. I wasn't happy or patience while waiting but so far it's been worth it. I found going out with my recruiters to lunch and having real talk, really helped.

Hope that helps.
    -Rob

I'd love to give some helpful advice, but I'm one of the people that breezed through the process, and I'm an old man recruit. I went to visit a recruiter the first week of December. I thought about it for 1 week, and decided that this was an unfulfilled dream that I was going to miss if I didn't do it now. I went to MEPS that very next weekend, took my ASVAB, went through my physical, presented my college transcripts for my E-2, and swore in. I got my ship date the next Monday after I got back, and haven't had any issues since.

I guess my advice would be to be patient and absolutely see it through. You're older, as am I, and if you don't see it through now, you'll look back one day when you're 40 and truly regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    Example at the MEPS yesterday we got there at about 0430 0500 I had finished my DLAB by 0730 0800 or so I didnt end up leaving the MEPS till about 1330 I spent 6 hours just sitting waiting to go home.

I can understand where you are coming from feeling frustrated about feeling as if you are being over looked maybe you are maybe you are not, tough part is there isnt much out there for you right now anyways. Its just the nature of the beast
    only from 0430 to 0800? LOL I was there from 0445 to 1930 and we got done at only 1030. I think I broke the record that day for being at meps the longest ever.

Kennett and Gunstream, thanks for the info or words.

Yea this is something I would like to do while I still have the time to do it so it won't be a regret or become a lie.

I've talked to my Recruiter(s) past and present before sometimes maybe coming off with an attitude but I do apologize if I feel I was disrespectful. Its just my expectations were different then what I thought it would be so reality came in and just really ****ed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by jeonpaolo View Post
    only from 0430 to 0800? LOL I was there from 0445 to 1930 and we got done at only 1030. I think I broke the record that day for being at meps the longest ever.
    On my last trip there was a female (pretty ****ed off) that was joining the army and had been there a total of three days.

All I can say is....it takes time. LOTS of time. At the 60 day mark....if you got your waiver back already, I'd say that was FAST.

Well Sgt Lep, I don't believe I need a waiver for anything. Its just me and a few others have all our paper work submitted but nothing is happening once it got to MEDREAD.

I believe my Recruiter now so I'm not stressing it. Its just frustrating you know, I've been at this whole process for a year now and saw the ball rolling with minimum stops because 70% of it was me and my weight. Once I got to the shipping weight I was like ok......I'm squared away, lets get this thing going times 10.

Plus I was trying to beat the summer boot camp shipping but I'm like well if I go during the summer atleast I get to go sooner then November.

It's just a big motivation and faith killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2HaveEGA843 View Post
    Well Sgt Lep, I don't believe I need a waiver for anything. Its just me and a few others have all our paper work submitted but nothing is happening once it got to MEDREAD.

I believe my Recruiter now so I'm not stressing it. Its just frustrating you know, I've been at this whole process for a year now and saw the ball rolling with minimum stops because 70% of it was me and my weight. Once I got to the shipping weight I was like ok......I'm squared away, lets get this thing going times 10.

Plus I was trying to beat the summer boot camp shipping but I'm like well if I go during the summer atleast I get to go sooner then November.

It's just a big motivation and faith killer.

Based on some Marine videos I saw on youtube I am lead to believe older recruits go to Boot in the fall whereas younger boots go in the summer typically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKYBl...ure=grec_index

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s72L...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXUlC...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbnmj...feature=relmfu

They refer to it a number of times through out the video,that the younger recruits in the summer are differnt from the winter and usually older recruits.

Im happy to go in Nov, not as hot sure you have to be there for the holidays but you have to get used to doing stuff like that.

Good stuff Munky, very motivating.

Guess thats the reason why I'm being held up......sucks but oh well, like one Marine at my job told me, "Its not your time yet, your time WILL come"

Stuff I really dont want to hear but sometimes reality is a *****.

Thread Information