Need assistance in understanding Paramarines
Create Post

Need assistance in understanding Paramarines

My Uncle, Jack Peterman enlisted in Feb 1943.
    He shows on the muster roles at, Company B, Parachute Training School, Camp Gillespie, San Diego, Calif
    In April 1943 he then shows as being at Station: Second Recruit Battalion, Recruit Depot, Mcb, San Diego, California
    And again he musters in July 1943 at Station: Parachute Replacement Co, School Bn, Tc, Camp Elliott, San Diego, Calif
    He then musters in Oct. 1943 to Fleet command, 3D Para Bn, 1St Mar Para Regt, 1Mac, C/O Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, Calif
    In January of 1944 he musters for the last time as a Paramarine at Station: Third Parachute Battaltion, First Marine Parachute Regiment, Fleet Marine Feddt, C/O Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, California
    He then musters in April 1944 at Station: 3D Bn, 28Th Mar, 5Th Mar Div, Fmf, Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, Calif. He stays there on through Iwo, is awarded a Silver Star and is honorably discharged in January 1946.
    I know he said he was at Hawaii, Vella Lavella Island, Bougainville Island and Iwo Jima. So my questions are about where was he at what time? Which divisions would he have been attached to? It seems odd to me that he would be in the Vella Lavella and Bougainville areas and then back in San Diego and then off to Iwo. Knowing that he was 1st Marine Parachute Regiment, 3rd Bn does not really help me find where he was for sure. Then transferring to the 5th
    Division, 28th Marines 3rd Bn Co H makes it a bit easier to find him on Iwo, but where did he go after that? Okinawa?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by deguello View Post
    He shows on the muster roles at, Company B, Parachute Training School, Camp Gillespie, San Diego, Calif
    In April 1943 he then shows as being at Station: Second Recruit Battalion, Recruit Depot, Mcb, San Diego, California
    And again he musters in July 1943 at Station: Parachute Replacement Co, School Bn, Tc, Camp Elliott, San Diego, Calif
    He then musters in Oct. 1943 to Fleet command, 3D Para Bn, 1St Mar Para Regt, 1Mac, C/O Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, Calif
    In January of 1944 he musters for the last time as a Paramarine at Station: Third Parachute Battaltion, First Marine Parachute Regiment, Fleet Marine Feddt, C/O Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, California
    He then musters in April 1944 at Station: 3D Bn, 28Th Mar, 5Th Mar Div, Fmf, Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, Calif. He stays there on through Iwo, is awarded a Silver Star and is honorably discharged in January 1946.
    I know he said he was at Hawaii, Vella Lavella Island, Bougainville Island and Iwo Jima. So my questions are about where was he at what time? Which divisions would he have been attached to? It seems odd to me that he would be in the Vella Lavella and Bougainville areas and then back in San Diego and then off to Iwo. Knowing that he was 1st Marine Parachute Regiment, 3rd Bn does not really help me find where he was for sure. Then transferring to the 5th
    Division, 28th Marines 3rd Bn Co H makes it a bit easier to find him on Iwo, but where did he go after that? Okinawa?
    sistance in understanding Paramarines

Credits
    Savings
    He shows on the muster roles at, Company B, Parachute Training School,
    Camp Gillespie, San Diego, Calif

In April 1943 he then shows as being at Station:
    Second Recruit Battalion, Recruit Depot, Mcb,
    San Diego, California

And again he musters in July 1943 at Station:
    Parachute Replacement Co, School Bn, Tc,
    Camp Elliott, San Diego, Calif

He then musters in Oct. 1943 to Fleet command,
    3D Para Bn, 1St Mar Para Regt, 1Mac,
    C/O Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, Calif

In January of 1944 he musters for the last time as a Paramarine at Station:
    Third Parachute Battaltion, First Marine Parachute Regiment,
    Fleet Marine Feddt, C/O Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, California

He then musters in April 1944 at Station:
    3D Bn, 28Th Mar, 5Th Mar Div, Fmf, Camp Pendleton,
    Oceanside, Calif.

He stays there on through Iwo, is awarded a Silver Star
    and is honorably discharged in January 1946.

I know he said he was at Hawaii,
    Vella Lavella Island,
    Bougainville Island and Iwo Jima.

So my questions are about where was he at what time?
    Which divisions would he have been attached to?

It seems odd to me that he would be in the Vella Lavella
    and Bougainville areas and then back in San Diego
    and then off to Iwo.

Knowing that he was 1st Marine Parachute Regiment,
    3rd Bn does not really help me find where he was for sure.

Then transferring to the 5th
    Division, 28th Marines 3rd Bn Co H makes it a bit easier
    to find him on Iwo,

but where did he go after that? Okinawa?

Sorry,,,

I had to take that out of the frame you sent it in,,,
    Couldn't read it to save my MESSKIT

Think i missed the first part to the question...!!!

SATS

there, that seemed to work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramarines

http://www.ww2-airborne.us/units/1st...arine_trp.html

http://www.ww2-airborne.us/units/1st...st_marine.html

http://3rdmarineparachutebattalion.webs.com/

The last link is to a reenactment group. Try messaging them and see what history they have.

In short, to answer your question, between the Marine Raiders and Paramarines, they were the first "special forces" in the Marine Corps. The other being the Rangers in the Army. From there, the idea of special forces as in "Green Berets" came into being and then eventually to the special forces in each branch of government. Keep in mind that we (the USA) did not invent this idea. Great Britain already had special operations going and we borrowed heavily from them. Today, the Marines have Force Recon and Marines may also become SEALS. Someone who has been a part of this group can tell you much more, and they will also know to what limit they may speak about their activities.

Thanks Sir! I pasted it from notepad and could not figure out why it wouldn't view better. I did not realize I had created a frame!

Thanks Mr. Hardy, the reenactment group page explains that the whole regiment was transferred to the 5th, 28th, 3rd and that may explain why he came back to San Diego or Hawaii before being redeployed to Iwo. Does anyone know where the 5th, 28th, 3rd went after Iwo? My father said he thought he was on Okinawa, but knew he was waiting on the mainland Japan invasion when the bomb dropped. AND Obama can kiss my rear for apologizing for dropping the bomb. Most likely I had the honor of knowing my Uncle because President Truman made that decision. Thanks again.

Also a quick note of humor... I also have an Uncle who was 101st 502 HQ starting combat in Holland. Uncle Jack had said there were rumors of transferring the Paramarines to Army AB units when the PM's were disbanded. He said he told his Captain, "I would dessert before I would transfer to those wusses in the Army AB". It made for lively conversations at family get togethers!!!

Credits
    Savings
    "FRAME" is a term i used because i didn't know how else to explain it..

NOTEPAD ... you probibly didn't set the "Borders" page returns, what ever..
    NO BIG DEAL...

You'll LEARN, OR next time, We'll have you doing PushUps !!! chuckle

Glad i could help make it easier for somebody else to read and get you
    a result..

I'm not sure if they're the same BUT

The 5th Marines and the 3rd Marines are still current units.
    NOT sure about 28th Marines....

But don't think we use the term ParaMarines

OOOORRRRAAAAAA! thanks for the tips. To clarify, Uncle Jack was transferred to the 5th Marine Division, 28th Marines Combat Team, 3rd Bn, Co H. He was a "light machine gunner" there, MOS 604.

Last edited by deguello; 12-14-12 at 02:41 PM. Reason: clarity

Credits
    Savings
    Brown,, ThankYou Brother... I was just reading it on the run
    and didn't think much beyond Regiments...

We've got a long list of UNITS who've had their COLORS
    put into mothballs untill the next time they're needed...

Credits
    Savings
    Degulleo
    A little Experiance that may bring Uncles duty into perspective.

I am retired Recon
    Prior to going to RVN I was assigned to several duty stations.
    When my rotation was due and I began asking questions as to actual departure.
    I DIDN'T EXIST ON PAPER COPY !
    Not totally out of the question for my MOS, but-----

My records were still at a prior duty station.
    They had to be stamped(?) and sent to the next station and the next,and the next,until they caught up with me.
    Then-- we could get serious about the "freedom bird"

First stop out was an Air Force outpost where they fed a group of muddy,tired,Marines a HOT meal (wow ! Gone to heaven !) but that's another story .

Summary,depending on the clerks preformance it may be a paperwork SNAFU

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was born on Parachute Silk, of WW11 Vet;got 2 be a Leaping Leatherneck in '68 TDA Ft.Benning from 2nd Force Heard from a Old Retread from WW11 only two other Marines F**k your day up a Cook & a Rigger S/F

Thanks to all for your help! I have learned much and continue. For the most part what I am finding is that Uncle Jack appears on a muster every two months, except when he left Iwo. It looks like the 5th Marine Division, after taking 70% casualties were given a well deserved shore leave from Camp Tarawa in Hawaii after Iwo. I am guessing that is where Uncle Jack was for a month or so. Since my father said that Jack was on Okinawa preparing for the main land invasion, is it possible that the 5th Fleet sent the 5th Division to Okinawa before the bombs were dropped? That is the story I need more information about. That and locations of his company when he was assigned to 1 MAC as a trooper, but at least I can verify where they were, just not down to daily levels. S/F Leathernecks and thanks again!

Thread Information