What is my MOS about? 6800 (most likely will be 6842 after boot camp)
Create Post

What is my MOS about? 6800 (most likely will be 6842 after boot camp)

I am a poolee right now and I found out yesterday that by MOS is 6800 (meteorology and oceanography). My ship date for boot camp is Feburary 25, 2013. I was wondering what this job is like? Is it an office job? I really didnt want an office job but I'm not going to complain about it lol is it hard to rank up in this MOS? Just give me as much information as you would like! Thanks!

Also, if I take an early ship date (my recruiter said I might be able to since I graduate early, I'm only 17 but graduate in 10 days.) can I take a different MOS or will I have the same one? I just do not want an office job lol

Similar Threads:

Sorry didn't mean to post this a 2nd time.

Credits
    Savings
    FIELD 68 - METEOROLOGY AND OCEANOGRAPHY (METOC)finger.jpeg

Might all depend on which way the wind is blowing

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I am sure it will depend wholly on who you get stationed with/attached to but this MOS could be very cool. There was a Cpl. that was a meteorology Marine that would brief all the battalion and company commanders in our AO on mission capabilities during certain weather and climates. Kinda like being in intel, your job plays a major role in how and when all the other units get their job done.

Again this could vary greatly based on who you end up with but don't think it is just a boring desk job. I am sure you will spend some time doing paperwork, preparing briefs and reports but understand where those go.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The METOC OccFld is the only earth science related OccFld in the Marine Corps.

The METOC service OccFld is responsible for collecting, assessing and disseminating METOC intelligence relevant to friendly and enemy force strengths and vulnerabilities for the planning and execution of operations necessary to characterize the battlespace.

This includes atmospheric, space, climatic and hydrologic intelligence for use in the production of Tactical Decision Aids (TDA) and METOC effects matrices.

The METOC OccFld is comprised of MOS 6821, MOS METOC Observer, MOS 6842, METOC Forecaster, and MOS 6852, METOC Impacts Analyst, and is progressive in nature.

Marines entering the 6800 OccFld will complete formal training and receive MOS 6800, Basic METOC Marine and will participate in routine METOC service function while training for a designated MOS within the OccFld.

As their skill enhancing training progresses, they become eligible to attend further formal MOS instruction. Billets include assignment to MEF, MEU, Intel Battalion, METOC Support Team (MST) , Marine Wing, Support Squadron, Marine Corps Air Station and Facility, TECOM, CBIRF, NMOPDC and instructor duty at MARDET Keesler AFB, MS.

Credits
    Savings
    Like Dave said (USMC1963)
    We old guys didn't get any choices.
    I personally would have liked an MP (MOS) assignment, but hey we went where we were told.
    6800 sounds real interesting to say the least, hey after your tour in the Corps, you could end up on TV as a weatherman ??

My recruiter said that MOS is hardly open, so yes you are right. Thanks!

Thread Information