Medical Seperation Question
Create Post

Medical Seperation Question

Hi, im Lcpl Page. now im in 2/24 (reserve) and i was wondering if someone gets med sep. because of a training accident is there compensation? if so is it based on the injury, time left, or something else.

may 2012 i hurt my back really bad when i wasnt at drill, and i was on narcotics and anti inflamatory for a while and light duty until sept 2012. sept 2012 my physician cleared me, and my sept. drill i did the cft. the run was fine, the ammo can lift made my back stiff. i made it to the fireman carry and my back gave out as soon as he was on my back, i tried to be moto and tried again this time he jumped on me. my back is now worse than ever. im back on narcotics and anti inflam. (prescribed) and now the Corpsman are sayin if im not 100% by jan 10 and can take the cft theyll start to med sep me.

now my question is if i am med sep because of a training exercise will i get any kind of comensation for my contract ending years early?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 12-11-12 at 07:44 AM.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you get a MED SEP you would have to file a claim with the VA for Service Connected Disability Compensation.

thanks

To get Med Sep first a doctor has to make that determination from the military side.

I was active so reserve part may be slightly different.

You go through PEB which is Physcial Evaluation Board.

They are the ones who MED SEP you from the Marines. NoBODY else.

Read the manual, its long and it will help you out alot.

http://www.donhq.navy.mil/corb/peb/pebmainpage1.htm

Physical Evaluation Board (PEB)
    The PEB is a fact-finding board that evaluates all cases of physical disability on behalf of the Marine/Sailor and the Service in accordance with the Secretary of the Navy Instruction 1850.4E (Disability Evaluation Manual). The PEB investigates the nature, cause, degree of severity, and probable permanency of the disability concerning the service member referred to the board. The board evaluates the physical condition of the service member against the physical requirements of his/her particular office, grade, rank or rating. The PEB provides a full and fair hearing as required by § 1214, Title 10 United States Code (10 U.S.C 1214), and makes findings and recommendations required by law to establish the eligibility of a service member to be retained on active duty due to fitness, or separated or retired from the service because of a physical disability.

Informal Physical Evaluation Board (PEB)
    The Secretary of the Navy is charged with assuring the fitness of Navy and Marine Corps members, and separating or retiring those who become Unfit to continue naval service because of a physical disability. The Secretary's authority is derived from Title 10, U. S. Code, Chapter 61, as supplemented by DoD Directive 1332.18of 4 November 1996, and SECNAVINST 1850.4E. The law provides benefits for eligible members whose military service is cut short due to a service-related physical disability incurred in the line of duty. The Department of the Navy's disability evaluation system is managed by the Secretary of the Navy Council of Review Boards (CORB), Physical Evaluation Board (PEB). The PEB is an administrative board that determines whether a service member's disability prevents his or her continued performance in the Navy or Marine Corps. The PEB is comprised of two levels of boards, which review medical evidence and make determination of fitness or unfitness to continue naval service. If the PEB determines that a service member is Unfit to continue naval service, and finds that the service member is eligible for disability benefits, the PEB determines the percentage of the service member's disability compensation. Depending on the severity of the illness or injury, the service member receives either medical retirement or disability severance pay.
    Formal Physical Evaluation Board (PEB)
    A member who is found Unfit to continue naval service by the Informal PEB, and wishes to appeal can demand a formal hearing with or without a personal appearance. Formal hearings are held before the Formal PEB at the Washington Navy Yard, DC. The Formal PEB is the member's opportunity, with the assistance of legal counsel to present evidence, testimony, and documents in support of his or her case. The service member is represented by an appointed military lawyer and may appear in person. The service member may also be represented by a National Service Officer from a National Service Organization or civilian counsel of his or her choosing provided at his or her expense. The Formal PEB's recommended findings will be reviewed for administrative and legal error. The Formal PEB's recommended findings are final after the President, Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) reviews and signs the decision. The President, PEB can either approve or amend the recommended findings. If the service member disagrees with the findings, he or she may submit a Petition for Relief (PFR) to the Director, Secretary of the Navy Council of Review Boards. The PFR is a separate and distinct appeal from the Formal PEB's decision.
    S/F,
    CEYA!

Oh and forgot, You have Limted Duty board before you go to PEB.

You should have time to heal that is what limited duty board is designed to do.

It come in two 8 months part. If you don't be fit in 8 months then they recommend another 8 months, if not fit then PEB.

Wish you luck.

S/F,
    CEYA!

Thread Information