Enlisting under open contract then picking my job field?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Enlisting under open contract then picking my job field?

Hi there Marines, I was wanting to know if anyone else that has recently enlisted, had to enlist under an open contract THEN pick their type of contract. That's what my recruiter is telling me, but from what I understand that's not what anyone else recruited from outside my recruiting station has done.
    I'm asking because I'm afraid once I enlist, I won't be eligible for the job field I want (AG contract) and I'll be stuck doing something. I really don't enjoy for 4 years.

I suppose I'm asking if anyone else has had to do it this way recently, or if someone could describe how it worked for them?

Thank you for your time & answers Marines.

EDIT: I've seen several other posts about this, but they are 2-3 years old, I just want to make sure nothing has changed. I would ask my brother too, but it's been 15+ years since he enlisted.

Similar Threads:

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    Besides asking here, I would ask another recruiter, or two, somewhere else, to be sure about this.
    Sounds like a good idea, thanks USMC. I'm a senior in high school though (on lunch right now) so I can only be recruited by this station. Either way I'll get some second and third opinions and be able to make an informed decision

Thanks again!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just a Heads Up.

You cannot post on this Forum during school hours.
    These are Forum Rules which you can read in the " Sticky " on it.

I am letting you slide on this one instead of deleting this thread.

1. Maybe you didn't know the rules.
    2. It's a Good question with a good response.
    3. Others will learn from this.

Best of luck to you and keep us informed.

Cortex, If I understand your situation correctly, could it be that he is making you sign an open contract after you went to meps the first time? I am trying to think back to when I had to deal with my recruiter. I know he made me sign an open contract but it wasn't the contract that determined my MOS or anything. When I went to talk to my recruiter I told him I wanted Aviation Mechanic, and I wouldn't sign anything unless I got that. I got what I wanted and am now a 6154 Huey and Cobra Airframe Mechanic.

My best advice for you is that if you feel uncomfortable with your recruiter, then request to speak to another or just call another recruiting station and ask them.

Hope this helped

Hey buddy,

I know your all freakn motto and ready to join the Marines but no need to rush into anything here. Your about to give 4 years of your life to the Marine Corps. 4 prime years as a young man. Slow down, figure out what you want to do, and my advice is don't sign anything until its exactly the field you want to be in. They'll tell you sign open contract now and we can switch it later, your only setting yourself up for potential failure and dissapointment. Only way to gaurentee an MOS is signing a contract for it pal.

Thread Information