SecurityForces as a B-Billet
Create Post

SecurityForces as a B-Billet

The HSST list has hammered my MOS, and I managed to dodge it. Given the current state of the Marine Corps, it won't be long until I end up on it. I am trying to make a career move on my terms, because I have no desire to end up as a recruiter.

I am currently trying to decide whether to submit a package for Security Forces or SOI instructor. I've got a buddy at SOI now, so I've got the inside scoop there.

Can anyone give me some insight to a b-billet as a Sergeant with Security Forces? I have searched all over the Internet, with little helpful information. What is life as a Sergeant on Security Forces? Is it a duty that I should seriously consider? There are several different reasons why I am trying to decide between these two duties, and any insight is greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by SergeantZippy View Post
    The HSST list has hammered my MOS, and I managed to dodge it. Given the current state of the Marine Corps, it won't be long until I end up on it. I am trying to make a career move on my terms, because I have no desire to end up as a recruiter. I am currently trying to decide whether to submit a package for Security Forces or SOI instructor. I've got a buddy at SOI now, so I've got the inside scoop there. Can anyone give me some insight to a b-billet as a Sergeant with Security Forces? I have searched all over the Internet, with little helpful information. What is life as a Sergeant on Security Forces? Is it a duty that I should seriously consider? There are several different reasons why I am trying to decide between these two duties, and any insight is greatly appreciated.
    It really depends on where you go and what you want to do. Speaking from a Security Forces point of view. My info is a bit dated so keep that in mind. But I was there on SF duty as a Cpl and Sgt in the mid nineties. Going there as a non-03 means you will have to work a little harder to earn your keep. But you are leading boot 03's so it's not as bad as going to a victor unit as a non-03 Sgt. There are ample opportunities for schools - I went to Rappelmaster and Jump school when I was on my year long tour. A good gig to try and get would be to go back to the SF schoolhouse once you are done where ever you go, and teach. That is a sweet spot. I went back and spent two years there after being on Dam Neck for a few years. Overall SF duty is pretty standard guard duty, each spot will be a little different, but it's guard duty. You'll be a SOG. I would avoid a PRP command, those are guard duty spots on steroids, but you might not have any options since they have closed a lot of the non-PRP commands. Overall, it's not the worst duty, certainly better than recruiter (if you ask me). Just keep your nose clean and enjoy the time away from the fleet. Good luck

Last edited by thewookie; 11-30-12 at 12:45 PM.

Thread Information