Questions About Recruitment
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Questions About Recruitment

I am 16, and after minutes of perseveration, I have decided on the Marine Corps
    I have my GED, which I had to get due to family circumstances.
    I am already planning on the 15 credits. I just have one big question.

Between the ages of 9 and 12. My father died. I was adopted, and my grandmother was afflcited with Altheimers to the point of non recognition of me.
    As any kid would, I didnt have a good go of it.
    I was Diagnosed with AD/HD, Asbergers, and ODD. (Oppositional Defiance Disorder). and Depression.
    thing is, I have completely grown out of all of those 'disorders'
    Completely temporary. Im not even a shy kid anymore.
    But a reevaluation is well over a thousand bucks all told.
    and my family doesnt have that kind of money to spare.
    I would rather not spill my guts to a real person just to be told there is nothing that can be done.
    So can any of you tell me my options?

Similar Threads:

1) Read this: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...-Question-Here

2) Shortly a squad leader will come to this thread, see your profile, or nonprofile, and lock the thread until you fill it out. Site rules.

3) I also sense choppers could be inbound on this one.

Credits
    Savings
    I could find no answers in 1)

I don't understand what you mean by 2)

What is a chopper 3)

This is what he meant by #2........

Thread closed until you have a complete profile besides a first and last name....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. When profile is complete, you can PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum and thread will be re-opened.

Also, when profile is complete, DO NOT start another thread asking the same questions.

Profile complete....thread re-opened.

Medical/Mental/Criminal/Tattoo Waivers/Lying to MEPS...READ THIS FIRST
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...EAD-THIS-FIRST

Credits
    Savings

I appreciate ital

So, do I stand to safely assume, that if I manage to get declared free from these disorders by a licensed clinician, then all will be well in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by mistersunnyside View Post
    So, do I stand to safely assume, that if I manage to get declared free from these disorders by a licensed clinician, then all will be well in the world?
    NO.....

Mental disorders. No offense, folks, but if you suffer from depression, manic depressive, schzio, ADHD, ADD, attempted suicide, spent time in a mental ward, institution, or padded room of any sort, AS DIAGNOSED BY A LICENSED PHYSICIAN/MEDICAL PROVIDER, you are disqualified from enlistment. IF you were prescribed medication for any/all of the above, you will need to be COMPLETELY MEDICATION FREE FOR A MINIMUM OF ONE YEAR, AND HAVE A DOCTORS CERTIFICATION STATING YOU NO LONGER HAVE THE CONDITION WHICH RESULTED IN THE MEDICATION BEING PRESCRIBED to be "Considered" for a waiver, which in all likelihood, will be disapproved. (The military as a whole is realizing that it has taken in too many people with prior diagnosed mental issues that have re-occurred....). Why in the WORLD you believe you could successfully handle the rigors of Recruit Training, not to mention heavy and sustained combat, multiple deployments, and close living in somewhat harmony with 100 of your closest "Friends" without making any or all of those conditions WORSE, and becoming a liability to YOURSELF AND FELLOW Marines, is beyond me. Trust me, it's hard enough on folks that don't start out with these issues, much less already having them.

Seek other career paths.

Now, there may be those of you who, in your vast knowledge of all things 'mental' in one form or another, may decide this offends your sense of self, id, ego, hurts your little feeeeeelings or whatnot. Well, let me say right now....sorry. Sorry that your parents or your doctors put you on some stupid pill when you were a kid to calm you down/hype you up/keep you from 'acting out' in class/acting like a boy should, or whatever. Really, I think it's a danged shame. Those people in my opinion, did you a dis-service. However, please place the blame squarely where it belongs....on THEM (and, taking a good long look in the mirror, maybe yourself). It is not my fault, the Marine Corps fault, the recruiters fault or the MEPS doctors fault. There IS a process (waiver) once you are off the meds, and adjudicated as 'all better with no issues' by your doctor, for a period of at LEAST one year. However, it's been my experience that if you were on the meds long term (and are STILL on them) then your chances of being 'cured' aren't very good. If you only took the things a week or a month, your chances are likely good.

Again, though, if you've been diagnosed with 'depression', bi-polar, manic depressive, or something of that sort, seek alternative careers. Politics, Hollywood, underwear blogger or some such. Seriously. The military will only make those issues WORSE, as I state above. Please don't come here and lecture me/us/Marines about how you are now all better and we'd be the better for taking you, it's societies fault, give peace a chance, ad nauseum. You will be dogpiled, and banned. That's not rude, that's truth. Something that, perhaps, you've never (In our touchy feely society these days) been told in blunt terms before. What is rude/bad manners is allowing you to continue on in life thinking you can do certain things.....when you cannot. That does YOU a disservice.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mistersunnyside View Post
    More than likely you will still need a waiver for all that even if a doctor/licensed clinician/psychologist/psychiatrist cleared you.

You NEED to go talk with a recruiter about this though, only he will be able to tell you. You need to get those college credits though too.

Credits
    Savings
    I will now that I know a waiver is possible.
    I just didn't want to walk in there and be sent out a wistful freak
    I am going to register for the 15 credits the first of the year though
    are there any particular classes i should take?

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission

Mental Health Conditions

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...a/neurotic.htm

You're only 16 years old. In my opinion, before you even go and talk with a recuiter when you turn 17, make sure you have all of your medical documentation on everything.
    With the Marine Corps downsizing, waivers are going to be a lot harder to come by.....so don't get your hopes up to high.
    We are not medical doctors either, so none of the Marines here know if your waiver would be approved or not.

How can a 16 year-old have a GED already? Just say'n...

A chopper on this site is a black helicopter that comes and takes you away (meaning you are temporarily suspended or permanently banned from the site). It happens.

When you go talk to a recruiter for the first time (once you turn 17), they will tell you to provide them with copies of your medical records pertaining to the mental disorders (because the docs at MEPS will require it). If you don't have them already, you should be compiling these documents now so you'll be ready when the time comes.

Thread Information