questions about MSOR
Create Post

questions about MSOR

hi Marines. I have some questions. How hard is it to get a chance to get into Marine Special Operations Regiment, To get into the indoctrine screening part ? Is the screening for Recon(Force and Battallion) different than MSOR ? The last one is, do they get missions of hostage rescues or people behind enemy lines surrounded by the enemy like downed pilots(I know PJ's do that,but sometimes other SOF are told to do that)?

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Well you have to be a Marine first and then from there you need to be an NCO with some time experience under your belt. Even with that it is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    Well you have to be a Marine first and then from there you need to be an NCO with some time experience under your belt. Even with that it is difficult.
    go in as an 03xx or 0203. Serve at least 2 years in the Marine Corps and be an E-4 to E-7. Be able to score a first class PFT. Contact your base MARSOC recruiter. so what this shows is I need to serve a few deployments with a MOS then maybe I would be able to get selected? I saw my answer to the question about hostage rescue missions. They dont do those. I have looked and havent found a link for all the requirements.

that part is what one person said to someone for how to get into MSOR, but didnt give a working link to a site.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

ok. thank you for that link.

Join as 03xx (You'll want to be an 11 in order to go recon). While in SOI, you may or not have a chance to go to the recon screening when you complete SOI (Your ASVAB score needs to meet the requirements, they'll only ask those people that meet them).

Also, force recon and recon battalion are 2 totally different things. Recon battalion is pretty much the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to special operations. Thats where you'll be if you're an E-3 - E-5 (Not sure if they accept E-5s or if E-6 is the lowest grade they'll take) Force recon is waaaaaaay above that. Prepared to be in the marine corps ATLEAST (and this is generous) 8 years before you even have a shot at force recon or MARSOC.

You could also enlist under a recon contract. at the end of that road you'd be with recon battalion

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsontc11 View Post
    Join as 03xx (You'll want to be an 11 in order to go recon). While in SOI, you may or not have a chance to go to the recon screening when you complete SOI (Your ASVAB score needs to meet the requirements, they'll only ask those people that meet them).

Also, force recon and recon battalion are 2 totally different things. Recon battalion is pretty much the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to special operations. Thats where you'll be if you're an E-3 - E-5 (Not sure if they accept E-5s or if E-6 is the lowest grade they'll take) Force recon is waaaaaaay above that. Prepared to be in the marine corps ATLEAST (and this is generous) 8 years before you even have a shot at force recon or MARSOC.

You could also enlist under a recon contract. at the end of that road you'd be with recon battalion
    You don't have to be infantry or recon to get into MARSOC.

And you cannot be an E-6 select or even be in zone for Staff board/promotion if you want to get into Recon/Indoc. training.

I never said that, I was referring to recon battalion.

As for being E-6, I was referring to MARSOC.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I never said that, I was referring to recon battalion.

As for being E-6, I was referring to MARSOC.
    hahaha ok...well you're wrong about that then too.

I know of a few Marines personally that are are E-4's and E-5's that went into MARSOC. One actually was an E-3 when he submitted his package, his CO meritoriously promoted him to E-4 just so he could get accepted.

There's a lot of generally wrong information regarding Recon and Marsoc and most people on this sight have no knowledge of the communities regardless of their time in the Marines. I have seen e-8's give absolutely wrong information about recon to people. It's not that they're ill intentioned they just don't know and assume many things. I am a recon marine and I will give you all the information I know regarding your questions.

1. The Screening for Recon and MARSOC is entirely different, held in different places, by different people. Screening for Force doesn't formally happen anymore. The way it generally works is they take people who have experience in the battalion and have skill sets they want ie Jump, dive, JTAC, ect.. They are also not neccisarlily "waaaay" ahead. They have more funding and a slightly different mission but right now the MEU company at recon battalions aren't a whole lot different capability wise. Also the composites of the battalions, missions sets, ect along with Force are constantly changing. I have also seen boot recon graduates go right into force. Generally there Force needed bodies and took **** hot boots.

2nd. as others have said you need to be an e-4 to try out for MARSOC. They recently stopped taking staff sergeants. The chance to try out for marsoc isn't hard if you meet all the requirements, which isn't hard. To pass and get selected is different. Mind you if you go the recon route and want to go to MARSOC later you may get turned down as there is talk of baring 0321 from marsoc to develope the perspective carreer fields independantly and stop the heavy draw marsoc has done from the recon community. however that isn't in stone yet and things could change in the future and people are always accepted on case by case basis. Just be warned of the word on the grape vine.

3. As for the missions. right now MARSOC has been doing a lot of foreign internal defense missions. They could get any of those missions you mentioned or more but hostage rescue is unlikely. As MARSOC grows and gains experience and developes its role in SOCOM more they might. Recon has done a downed pilot extraction in libya. It wasn't a big behind enemy lines shoot out high speed rescue but they went in and extracted him nonetheless. It is more of a right place at the right time thing. mission sets change and these communities are very dynamic.

I hope this has been helpful. Feel free to ask more questions.

If you actually read my post you'd be able to connect the dots and see how vague I was about the rank requirement.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If you actually read my post you'd be able to connect the dots and see how vague I was about the rank requirement.
    You were being vague because you had no clue what you were talking about.

Nice try. Thanks for playing.

Lets keep this on point or I'm going to lock this. You guys have anything else take it to PM. I'd also suggest leaving the speculation out of it, unless you have BTDT. Because what you heard from your buddy last week, probably isn't all true today.

Semper

Thread Information