Marine Reserves Question
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Marine Reserves Question

Hello Marines.

I'm a freshman in college right now and I'm doing horribly in school. I was considering joining the Reserves this summer (I won't last in college) and I absolutely know I want to be in the Infantry. Here's where my question comes in. I read that when enlisting in the Reserves, the MOSs that you can choose from depend on what type of Reserve unit is in your area. My closest Reserve unit is in Tampa Bay, Florida. It's the H&S Company 4th Assault Amphibian Battalion. Is there ANYTHING, short of enlisting active duty, that I can do to get that 03 contract as a reservist?

My initial goal was to go to college and become an officer. Seeing as I lack the discipline and motivation to excel in school, I figured I could join the Reserves, "grow up" in boot camp, then continue college with a newfound motivation to become an officer.

Thanks for taking the time to read my question and goodnight!

Similar Threads:

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I would go talk to a recruiter or try to get on google to look up more information

Credits
    Savings
    I've seen this already. Would I have to move in order to be a Reserve Infantry Marine? Ouch.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rg273 View Post
    I've seen this already. Would I have to move in order to be a Reserve Infantry Marine? Ouch.
    to put it simply...yes

Depending on your recruiter you can be a "50 miler" anyone further than 50 miles from the drill center rates a hotel the night before morning drills so you wont have to worry about that. I live about 250 miles from my unit. No problemo a friend of mine drives 8 hours every drill... so its very possible

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Check out that ANGLICO unit down there. From what all my buddies tell me it is pretty badass. If you get a hold of a recruiter he can tell you more about it.

Credits
    Savings
    MKOZ07, Thanks for suggesting that unit. I had overlooked it. I will definitely check it out.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Not a problem, has some good high speed **** and great training. Good luck in your journey

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rg273 View Post
    Hello Marines.

I was considering joining the Reserves this summer (I won't last in college) and I absolutely know I want to be in the Infantry.

Is there ANYTHING, short of enlisting active duty, that I can do to get that 03 contract as a reservist?

My initial goal was to go to college and become an officer.

I figured I could join the Reserves,
    "grow up" in boot camp,
    then continue college with a newfound motivation to become an officer.

Are you serious on having asked that statement ?
    I see it.
    I read it.
    Considering what you've said,,,,,
    you've got a problem, Sunshine.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post
    Are you serious on having asked that statement ?
    I see it.
    I read it.
    Considering what you've said,,,,,
    you've got a problem, Sunshine.
    What is my problem sir?

I really don't recommend becoming a reservist just to "grow up"

Do it if it's a good fit for you, not as a stepping stone to OCS.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW2011 View Post
    I really don't recommend becoming a reservist just to "grow up"

Do it if it's a good fit for you, not as a stepping stone to OCS.
    ^^this exactly^^

DO NOT!! enlist in the reserves just to call yourself a Marine and in hopes of going to OCS. And why do you think boot camp will make you "grow up"??...If you can't sack up on your own to "grow up" you will be in for a rude awakening. You may discover some new motivation inside you while at boot and fresh out but once you go back to your civilian life you will go back to the same old thing...and then what?...you're back in the same spot you were before but only now your a Marine and you have expectations/obligations you have to fulfill.

i agree with "Joesephd". being in the reseveres can suck a whole lot sometimes. You feel a new motovation and want to continue being active but your contract says reserves. for example when i came home from all of boot camp, MCT, and arty school my unit was set to go to afgahnistan but was cancled, ever since then i have always looked for a deployment just go get some active duty time again. i suggest going active then if you dont like it after you're contract is up switching to reserves and becoming a mustang Marine if you are still motivated to become an officer.

Thread Information