November 28, 2003
Son Follows Parent's Footsteps in Marine Corps

by Cpl. Brian Buckwalter
Henderson Hall News

Many children say they want to grow up to be like their parents.

Sgt. Glen Cross, watch commander for the Henderson Hall military police, was one of those children. Both his parents were Marines and are people he looks up to. On July 21, 1999 he followed in their footsteps and left for Parris Island.

"They told me from the beginning I could do whatever I wanted as long as I was happy with it and as long as I did my best at it," Cross said. "It made my parents really proud, and I was proud to be a part of something they've been a part of all their lives."

His mother Deborah got out of the Marine Corps as a staff sergeant to take care of triplets before he enlisted. His father Charles retired recently as a master gunnery sergeant after 30 years of service.

Cross said after joining the Corps there was a transition period, but it wasn't the same most others had to go through. Growing up, his parents had taught him Marine Corps history and tradition and he was able to experience military life, but now his father outranked him.

"During business hours or if we're both in uniform it's weird calling somebody that I've called Dad all my life master guns..." said Cross. "There's the military thing, but when we're together as a family... it's my regular parents and there's no intimidation with rank."

Being in the military, Cross's father was able to give advice that served his son well. The most important lesson, said Cross is "he has taught me how to be a better leader."

Advice wasn't the only thing his father gave him. He also was a part of the most memorable moment in Cross's career. While Cross was stationed in Iwakuni, his father flew up from Okinawa to promote him to corporal.

At that time, Cross never knew he would be able to do something as memorable for his father.

Flying an American flag at the Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington, Va. to honor someone is an event that Henderson Hall MPs do on a regular basis. Cross decided it would make a great retirement gift for his father.

"It's an honor for me to go up there and raise anybody's flag no matter who they are, but for it to be someone who is directly related to me... was a big opportunity," he said.

As he stood on the monument, unfolded the flag, raised it, and saluted, many emotions went through his head.

"I was kind of sad because it was the ending of his career... 30 years of service is a long time... but I was happy because it was commemorating the ending of his long, good career."

Although his father served in a different job field, Cross continues to follow in his father's footsteps.

He plans on making the Marine Corps a career and following the same promotion path to master gunnery sergeant.

Cpl. Brian Buckwalter
For his father's Marine Corps retirement, Henderson Hall military policeman Sgt. Glen Cross flew the American flag at the Iwo Jima Memorial recently.

http://www.dcmilitary.com/marines/he...s/26473-1.html

Sempers,

Roger