Camp Garcia
Create Post

Thread: Camp Garcia

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Question Camp Garcia

Camp Garcia was named after Marine Corps Private 1st Class Fernando Garcia, a Puerto Rican Medal of Honor recipient during the Korean War. It is located on the island of Vieques (part of the Puerto Rico Commonwealth). Sadly this base was closed in 2003.

I was stationed there for about 6 months in 1976 as part of a joint USMC-Navy exercise. I was in 8th Engineer Support Battalion, Bridge Company attached to the Marine Amphibious Group out of Camp Lejeune, NC. We were also there with British Royal Marines and Dutch Marines. It was awesome duty and hard work! But we had plenty of time to take in some the the most pristine and beautiful beaches I have ever seen anywhere. I also remember too that from the base, you got the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets. The downside was the heat and the Cowboys (locals on horseback) raiding our messhall late at night and stealing our laundry off the clothesline!

Anyone else here ever been there?