Cinderella Sex Change

Monday, December 01, 2003

By Scott Norvell
FoxNews

Researchers have decided that age-old fairy tales such as Cinderella and Snow White contain so many stereotypes that they are just as harmful to children’s psyches as the misogynist, violent, drug-addled videos of current popular culture.

The Press Association reports that researchers in America found that the tales passed down since the 1800s put too much emphasis on physical beauty and could harm kids’ self-esteem as a result.

"There is a lot of association between beauty and goodness and then conversely between ugliness and evil and laziness," said study co-author Liz Grauerholz.

Grauerholz tells HealthDayNews that parents should change the stories. Tell Cinderella to your child as if she were male. Or change the ending so she decides the prince wasn't right for her after all and lived happily ever after by making her own life.

QUESTION; "Tell Cinderella to your child as if she were male" (who lived happily ever after with Prince Charming). Oh?
==============================

Traditions Transformed

A group of Civil War buffs in Albany, Ga., have been forbidden from marching in the annual Christmas parade there because their presence offended some of the other marchers, reports WALB-TV.

For the past 12 years, members of the Second Confederate War Between the States re-enactment group have marched in the city’s annual Celebration of Lights Christmas Parade. This year, they were told they were not welcome.

The re-enactors spend the rest of the year going around to schools showing young children what life was like for soldiers in the 1860s. The president of the group, Harry Robertson, lamented the city’s decision, saying: "We are not racist. We are not the Klan. We are a heritage preservation organization."

QUESTION; Would they also ban a group that was showing what it was like to be a slave during those times? Oh?
====================

Mockery

A "Conservative Coming Out Day" at Pennsylvania State University was denounced ahead of time as hateful because the phrase mocks an annual gay rights event and alienates members of that community on campus, reports the Collegian.

Sponsored by the Penn State College Republicans, the event was intended to show how marginalized political conservatives feel on campus. One student told the rally how an English teacher introduced herself on the first day of class by saying, "I hate Republicans."

Gay rights groups on campus expressed concern about the language on fliers advertising the event, saying the conservatives’ pledge to "come out of the closet" mocked their own struggles for freedom and justice.

QUESTION; "I hate Republicans." is OK. I wonder what the reaction would have been if she introduced herself by saying, "I hate gays."
Oh?
=====================

Rickshaw Ruckus

Leaders of the Baptist Convention of New England scuppered an annual Rickshaw Rally event at its vacation Bible school after Asian American groups complained that the content was racially offensive, reports the Baptist Press.

The rally is a race that has kids race through an obstacle filled with Asian imagery. They stop at various spots along the way to study the Bible and collect prizes.

Jim Wideman, executive director of BCNE, said a mistake was made with the theme. "Asian Americans in New England have found this theme focusing on the rickshaw to be insensitive and to be a poor representation of Asian culture. Some have found it highly offensive."

One complainer, Robert Parham of the Baptist Center for Ethics, told the Nashville Tennessean that the Rickshaw Rally "represents yet another example of the moral blindness that insults a racial group and seeks to make a profit off of prejudice."

QUESTION; I guess a "Demolition Derby" at a local fairgrounds "represents yet another example of the moral blindness that insults (accident prone drivers) and seeks to make a profit off of prejudice."
=======================