can i still join?
Create Post

can i still join?

i really need someone to help me figure this out, i had asthma, and still might, im pretty sure Ive outgrown it or forced it out. i had it when i was younger but the only thing that ever made it act up was running. Ive been running harder and harder for 4 years now and i don't have breathing problems anymore..i can run a 6:50 mile with no problems. my cousin is a marine and he sent me the PFT he had to do to graduate boot camp and i can do it..not saying its easy but i did it with no problem(didn't have difficulty breathing or anything)..what im asking is there anything i can do to be able to join, any tests? waivers? anyway to prove myself?..i know many people say it but its truly my dream to become a Marine Corps Officer...if it helps at all id like to become a combat engineer officer

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, help and service.

Similar Threads:

Asthma (AZ-ma) is a chronic (long-term) lung disease that inflames and narrows the airways. Asthma causes recurring periods of wheezing (a whistling sound when you breathe), chest tightness, shortness of breath, and coughing. The coughing often occurs at night or early in the morning. Asthma has no cure. Even when you feel fine, you still have the disease and it can flare up at any time. However, with today's knowledge and treatments, most people who have asthma are able to manage the disease. They have few, if any, symptoms. They can live normal, active lives and sleep through the night without interruption from asthma. Either you have Asthma or you do not. That said I can't say for certain it would disqualify you from service. Your local recruiter would be able to answer this question.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    go talk to a recruiter!...or if you want to be an officer and you are in college go talk with your area OSO.

we are not recruiters here, we can't really answer whether or not you'll be able to join

Well thanks for the help, I know you can't give me a sure fire answer, stupid question on my part. I was just looking for some input really and anyone if knew someone that fought it and got accepted or if anyone has heard of people getting in with it. Or if it was even possible, I appreciate it. Thanks.

One last question, do you Marines think i have a chance at all of getting in?

Last edited by Lisa 23; 10-26-12 at 06:13 PM. Reason: The Marines who've answered your questions EARNED title....it's Marines, not guys.

No, asthma is a disqualifying factor and whether or not you currently have symptoms is irrelevant. We have heard of people with no symptoms going to bootcamp and all of a sudden (for whatever reason) experience an asthma attack. Those people were sent home immediately. The USMC will not spend the money sending you to a recruit depot. Go talk to a recruiter; they will tell you the same thing.

If it's documented, you have no chance. You might as well be trying to get a felony waiver, and right now, they don't need extra bodies real bad. Add on top of that, Marine Corps Officer? Hell no. If it's NOT documented, anywhere. Yeah, but if you mention it at all, no. You'd basically have to lie, I mean you WILL have to lie, on federal documents. You'd be taking your life into your own hands, too. Lots of guys I went through with had medical... concerns that they never spoke up about. Made it through, in a little more pain then the rest of us.

I'm a Combat Engineer. I have no Idea why you'd want to be a combat engineer officer. But if you do, somehow, manage to become one. For the love of god, you can't landnav, and keep a lot of pens on you.

Also your grammar is terrible for a hopeful officer. Considering doing paperwork is a lot of your job, you might want to work on it.

Thread Information