Need advice on intrusive landlord...had to draw down on a home intruder today...
Create Post

Need advice on intrusive landlord...had to draw down on a home intruder today...

I am renting a house in North Carolina on a 1 year lease. The lease states the landlord reserves the right to enter the premises at any time to inspect my compliance with the lease, make repairs, etc. The lease states the landlord is the ONLY person able to enter my premises without my direct permission. So today I am in the shower and I get out, as i'm drying off I hear footsteps on my wooden stairs. I immediately grabbed my shotgun from the bedroom next to the bathroom I was in and waited at the corner of the wall at the end of the hallway for the unknown individual to come to the top of the stairs. He gets to the top and rounds the corner and finds himself staring down the barrel of my Remington 870. I yell at him and order him stop, not move and identify himself. He trips over his words and says "i'm steve the lawncare guy". I tell him not to make any sudden movements and explain to me why he is in my ****ing home right now. He tells me that my landlord gave him the key and told him it was okay to come inside and go upstairs to check a tree which might need trimming at the top from one of the windows on the second floor. I tell him not to move a hair on his ****ing body and call the landlord with my off hand to confirm stevo's story. The landlord confirms it is true and I hang up on the landlord. I then ordered steve to never enter the inside of my home again regardless of what the landlord tells him. He says he never will, and immediately left. He stalled his car on the way out he was so nervous. I then called the landlord and reamed her a new *******, she is a ****ing ****. She tried to tell me "no its okay, steve is a great guy and i've been using him for years and I trust him." I ask what background checks she completed on steve. She couldn't answer the question and reverted back to saying she just knows he is a nice guy. I told her in very explicit terms I do not care how nice a guy someone is and under no circumstance is any individual authorized on my property without my direct persmission and without YOU the landlord there supervising him/her the entire time. She basically didn't even acknowledge what I said and ended the call. This is the SECOND time this has happened in the past 2 weeks, and I will not allow the safety or security of myself or my family to be put in jeopardy because of this **** landlord. She has already violated the lease by providing the lawncare guy with a key and allowing him unsupervised and unannounced access into my home. How do I know steve the lawncare guy doesn't have a copy of my key? How do I know who else this ***** has allowed to do this and I just wasn't home at the time? There are uncontrolled keys in circulation in my city allowing complete access to my home as far as i'm concerned. So tonight I had a locksmith come and change all the locks on my apartment. Tomorrow i'll be informing the landlord I have been forced into a position to change my locks in order to ensure the safety of my family, and if the landlord wishes to access my home I will allow supervised access only because of this egregious breach of trust. Should I seek legal counsel? What else can I do? There is nothing in my lease which says I can't change the locks, but there is a catchall clause which says I cannot modify anything in the home, so i'm pretty sure changing the locks is essentially in violation of the lease. What should I do?

Similar Threads:

I hope you called the police to report this incident so it's on record on what happened....and in my opinion, I would seek legal council; your landlord crossed the line. I'd also do some research on North Carolina landlord-tenant rights/laws.

I called the police and they told me because the man was technically instructed by the landlord to come here, and the fact that nothing was stolen and no one was injured, that nothing criminal had occurred and they would not fill out a police report. They said it's definitely a violation of my lease agreement (obviously), however that it is ONLY a civil matter and there is nothing they can do and they won't file a police report over a civil matter. The officer advised me to change my locks, and I did.

Sounds like the landlord is the one who breached the contract and should be worried about a suit. You didn't really 'modify' the home, seems like that refers more to tearing down a wall in one place and putting one up in another, changing the flooring, etc. The police also instructed you to change the locks which is for your own safety, so I think if the landlord wants to file suit over locks, you can counter-sue based on the landlords breach of contract.

I think you're in good shape and don't have to worry about it unless you get served with some kind of civil action.

I will say that in order to maintain your end of the deal, you will likely have to give the landlord a new key so you can honor your end of the contract. However I'd hand it over with a strong threat to her that you will sue for breach of contract if landlord ever steps outside the realm of the contract. That contract protects her, but it protects you as well.

If that doesn't make you feel any better, then the only other option you probably would have is to have a chat with an attorney for some real legal advice so that you know your rear is covered. But I'm guessing you may not have to, I doubt it would get that far because your landlord would have to spend money on an attorney as well.

Like Lisa said, maybe do some checking in to what the laws are regarding rentals.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Accord View Post
    The lease states the landlord reserves the right to enter the premises at any time to inspect my compliance with the lease, make repairs, etc.

The lease states the landlord is the ONLY person able to enter my premises without my direct permission.

This is the SECOND time this has happened in the past 2 weeks,

So tonight I had a locksmith come and change all the locks on my apartment.

Tomorrow i'll be informing the landlord I have been forced into a position to change my locks in order to ensure the safety of my family, and if the landlord wishes to access my home I will allow supervised access only because of this egregious breach of trust.

Should I seek legal counsel?

What else can I do?

There is nothing in my lease which says I can't change the locks, but there is a catchall clause which says I cannot modify anything in the home,

so i'm pretty sure changing the locks is essentially in violation of the lease.
    No, I don't think so
    , but i'm not a lawyer - just a previous property owner who's rented out units/apartments

What should I do?

You didn't say how close the landlady lives to your unit/apartment ???

IF it was me, i'd drag my feet offering a key to your apartment that fits the new locks.

and after she asks,, I'd Mail her (By return reciept requested "US POSTAL Service")
    a key i knew DOESN"T fit the new locks.

Put the ball in her court... she'll yell when she finds it doesnt fit,, you ask why she needed in..

"ANYTIME ENTRY" is generaly understood to repair EMERGENCY conditions.....

NOT anytime she wants to send somebody ..

Let us know how you make out.

and good luck.

then DRAG my feet to find out how long it takes her to find out the key doesn't fit...

I didn't check your profile, and wonder IF there is a Base Legal assistance where you're stationed >?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Seems to me that "Steve the lawn guy" is lucky he ain't "Steve the deceased lawn guy". He might have a few choice words for your landlord too! Like "BEYOTCH, YOU ALMOST GOT ME KILLED"!
    Install dead bolt locks and/or wedges for when you are at home; at least no one will walk in the shower on you again. Get a vicious little dog!

Accord: Haven't heard anything from you in a very long time. How have you been doing?

Is this landloard from a management company or is she just someone the owner of the building has hired to oversee the property?

If she works for a management company I would contact them and tell them what happened along with informing them that the next person they will be talking to is an attorney.

When I retired from the Corps my wife and I were in that business in California and we do not know the other states laws. My wife ran the office as Manager and I was the maintenance supervisor. Worst job in the world. The best thing you did was change the locks. If it says "no modifications that would also include locks.

THE BEST THING TO DO IS MOVE OUT IF YOU CANNOT GET ANY SATISFACATION FROM OWNERSHIP.

Go to Base Legal and get some guideance. Good luck with this.

Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Most leases state that the landlord needs to give 24 hours notice before accessing the property. If it is not in the lease, I would make an amendment to the lease and have her sign it as well as you.

What's the latest on your situation?

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    n o lawyer but try this

http://www.legalaidnc.org/public/lea...Greensboro.pdf

"Typical provisions of general residential landlord-tenant law state that a Landlord has the right to enter the premises at reasonable times to inspect, maintain, and show the premises. Except in the case of emergency, a landlord must gain permission from the tenant in order to enter. The Tenant may not unreasonably deny permission. Either party may obtain injunctive relief from the courts if the other party is unreasonable regarding access issues."

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I had this done when I was in college. The landlord would always come in and say he is fixing things but I had caught him stealing my I-pod, a few DVD's, and a xbox game. Luckily for me i had installed little cameras that I got online and had it hidden behind a few things. Caught the whole thing on tape. For me that was the best if you are trying to protect your family and your belongings. If this happens again you at least have video proof and it doesn't result in a your word against theirs.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by marine1011 View Post
    n o lawyer but try this

http://www.legalaidnc.org/public/lea...Greensboro.pdf

"Typical provisions of general residential landlord-tenant law state that a Landlord has the right to enter the premises at reasonable times to inspect, maintain, and show the premises. Except in the case of emergency, a landlord must gain permission from the tenant in order to enter. The Tenant may not unreasonably deny permission. Either party may obtain injunctive relief from the courts if the other party is unreasonable regarding access issues."
    Most all states have DIFFERENT laws on the same subject..

worse comes to worse, walk into a Legal Clinic ???IF not your Base Legal Office/Officer

Thread Information