M14 to m-16 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M14 to m-16

Quote Originally Posted by DWG View Post
    Kennedys' boy geniuses fell in love with the AR15/M16 concept and so it came to be. We test fired with of AR-15s at Geiger in October of 68. Out of four cases, 3 rifles DIDN'T jam! We were not impressed. My opinion, bad powder mix, interchangeable parts were not as forgiving as an M-14 (I know one Viet Vet who said he marked his reciever and bolt; worked valve grinding compound through it and never let them get separated again; don't know if this is true). Heard a lot of stories of dead Marines with weapons (AR-15) broken down to clear jams.

BTW; Devyn, Marine is always capitalized when referring to USMC personnel.

My bad, I remember my uncle telling us stories (which he rarely did) about how the jamming problem really costed lives. I remember hearing how later they fixed some of the problems with the m-16A1. I love the AR series of rifles too but it just seems like it wasnt worth it. I mean I realize a Marine will pick up any weapon and be accurate but it sounds annoying to work with one system half way through a war to have it ripped out of your hand for a weapon that was a joke compared to what they fired in boot camp.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 10-14-12 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    We had the M1 most of the way through boot
    Somewhere around qual time we changed to the 14 s.
    Later was the good times-- carry whatever you could get your hands on .
    Ahah!...that sounds familiar now (bold).

Would love to hold and break down an M14 now after all these years.
    I did manage to bring home my well used K-Bar that a Brother somehow procured for me when we got to Hill 35.
    It was 25$...sh!t...that was danm near 1/2 month's normal pay for a lowly L/Cpl. back then.

Stay tough Brother....back to topic....carry on.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I liked the M14... I liked my M82 better...

HooYah!
    Harold

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    M-14----M-16---Were Marines We go 2 War with what we are Issued...If it were up 2 Me I would have Issued My Whole CO...MK54 SADM's S/F

We used the 14's in boot at PI, the M1's in ITR and infantry training, then in the Nam I carried the 16 my entire time. They seemed to work pretty good to us and we could hump a lot more ammo. In the bush most of the time you couldn't see **** anyway so putting out a great deal of cover fire was a good thing. You had to keep them clean, we had a guy in my squad that would clean our weapons for us for a dollar, nothing else to spend our money on anyway.

My weapon of choice today is an AK-47 with rails and a scope. I learned to respect that little weapon. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Marine generals thought with the M16 and being able to carry more rounds they would have more fire power,Semper Fidelis.
    Most of the Joint Chiefs turned the M16 down as to light a round but McNamara who fell in love with it after he was told the average man could only carry 240 rounds of 7.62 but given the 5.56 he could carry 360 rounds. Most Marines I was around carried so many rounds of 7.62 if they got to close to a fire they would go off for days. So we got the M16 and it was the bigest pile of cr*p ever made back then and a lot of guys got killed becuase of its jaming.

I will stick with the M14 . It was full bodied & you fell in love with it . It was easy to take care of & it took care of you . If you got close to the SOB , it would at least knock him down .
    We had the M14 in P.I. , the M1 at ITR in 67 . After we were in Nam in 68 they gave us the tinker toy Mattel M16 . We did not like it one bit but it was all that we had .
    Do the job with what you have ! Isn't that a tradition ?
    There goes my blood pressure again .

I can somewhat feel what you guys are talking about brothers! Although I did not go to country with it. I trained on a m16a4 in boot and itb then get to the fleet and I'm an automatic rifleman and given a m27 IAR with a SDO m16 bolt only spring assisted has different recoil and is fuly automatic told I need to take this magazine fed weapon and provide the same surpression as a saw. Kinda like taking the original fully auto m16 and changing it out for the pig m60 in my eyes. But you gents had it rough. Semper if brothers

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    A Rifleman's Rifle...Springfield Armory SOCOM .308---Beretta BM 59-62 Me I'd go with a Galil .308---That Finn Rifle the Valmet 7.62x39!Been Hit Twice with that 7.62 x 39 put the Smack Down on My YoungButt The 6.8 is the Up & Coming new Rnd in the AR Platform... Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    The 16 was an ever-jamming piece of sh*t when they started changing from the 14 in around may or june 66. When they issued them but they didn't have enough cleaning rods so the issued 1 to every 4 man first the rounds would stick in the chamber and the extractor would peel off the back of the round , the only way you could get them out was with a cleaning rod and we didn't have enough of them, so they issued improved ammo, they they would double feed, so they came out and changed to slower buffers. We wore out tooth brushes keeping them clean but cleaning had nothing to do with it they wern't ready for the field and a lot of good Marines died trying to clear the jams from the wonder guns. You could carry a lot more ammo and it had a faster rate but you could never fire it all because it was always jammed.

I was lucky, we were attached like the FO's and navel guns.We could could pretty much use what ever we came out with and most of us ditched the 16. I went out with the 16 once and when gck I gave it back to our armorer and went back to the 14

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    A Rifleman's Rifle...Springfield Armory SOCOM .308---
    This has been on my Christmas list for years but apparantly Santa is not listening!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sweet Rifle Sgt...I have a Beretta BM-62 308 NATO there's a SOCOM I keep Eyeballing @ the GunShop its got that Picatinny rail for WhatEv ad ons that's a Sweet .308 Rifle asking $1800.00 NIB that BadBoy gives this Ole 0311 A Woody

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    ...I have a Beretta BM-62 308 NATO
    NICE!!

I bought an LR 308 Classic (DMPS)a couple of years ago...it's basically an AR 10. It is accurate as hell. My only complaint is that it is a gawdawful HEAVY mutha...feels like I'm carrying an M60! LOL.
    I'm still of mixed opinions about the Picatinny rails...i've found it is really easy to just start adding stuff I don't need which ups the weight even more. Geez...remember back in the day when all we had was IRON SIGHTS??

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yep if it were Me I'd take the Rail off Sarge...That 308 you have is Sweet...Just thought of how accurate those Old M-14's were @ PI with the Pounding all the Recruits gave Her B4 I ever took her 2 the Range I Loved that Rifle named Her Candy after my Elementary School Sweetheart Go Easy Sarge Semper Fi

Thread Information