Picking an entry MOS for future lat move to 0211
Create Post

Picking an entry MOS for future lat move to 0211

Hello! As of two days ago, I am enlisted in the DEP with an open contract. I asked to ship out ASAP, so my wish was granted with a MCRD PI ship date of 20121113. I scored a 94 on my ASVAB and though I haven't seen my full scores yet, my recruiter has informed me that they are all high.

I am very interested in eventually lat moving to 0211, Counter Intelligence. I'm trying to find a starting MOS that might help aid me in getting a lat move eventually. I am very interested in learning a language and though I have not taken the DLAB, I am pretty confident I could pass, since I seem to have inherited my linguist mother's ear for languages. Crypto-linguistics is more interesting to me than being a Linguist, but I really have no idea. I also read something about crypto-linguistics and a 5 year contract. Would signing a 5 year crypto-linguist contract prevent me from lat moving until the 5 years are completed? I have no qualms with serving for 5 years, it's more just the time frame for lat moving.

Thank you for all of your help!

Similar Threads:

If you're interested in 0211 now, then go in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    If you're interested in 0211 now, then go in that direction.
    I was under the impression that you had to be at least a Cpl for 0211.

0211 is not a entry level MOS, if you have the option then you should shoot for 0231 just to obtain general knowledge in the intel field and as the years go on you can continue improving yourself. Then when the day comes where you have an opportunity to lat move to the 0211 field you will have a better chance of getting accepted/succeeding in the 0211.

But seeing as you already enlisted in the Marine Corps and... went in as an open contract. I say you might already fuuuucked yourself on this one, unless your recruiter planned something for you. Because as it stands your going into the Marine open contract which means they will throw your ass in any MOS that needs to be filled. You ney not worry though if you have a high ASVAB score as you say you do then you will at least be given a shot at some kind of interesting MOS, and not just to become a cook.

Quote Originally Posted by BGW View Post
    0211 is not a entry level MOS, if you have the option then you should shoot for 0231 just to obtain general knowledge in the intel field and as the years go on you can continue improving yourself. Then when the day comes where you have an opportunity to lat move to the 0211 field you will have a better chance of getting accepted/succeeding in the 0211.

But seeing as you already enlisted in the Marine Corps and... went in as an open contract. I say you might already fuuuucked yourself on this one, unless your recruiter planned something for you. Because as it stands your going into the Marine open contract which means they will throw your ass in any MOS that needs to be filled. You ney not worry though if you have a high ASVAB score as you say you do then you will at least be given a shot at some kind of interesting MOS, and not just to become a cook.
    Thank you for your response. I am currently open contract, but as of Nov 1st, it will be changed to an actual MOS, according to the MSgt of my recruiting station. My recruiter is pulling up jobs that I qualify for in the mean time and we are looking at what I would like to do.

0231 is another one I should look at. Thank you.

Don't put yourself in a critical MOS or you will be hard pressed to find a command willing to let you go. It is a good idea to find an MOS that will deploy you once or twice before you pick up Cpl (not sure how likely that will be in the upcoming years).

One good way to go is join an infantry unit...this helps with 0211's when they get attached to infantry units so they aren't learning how to survive in the field on-the job. Such things as how to use a radio, patrol, use weapons, how to survive in a field environment all come in handy for 0211's doing direct support to an infantry company. This certainly isn't mandatory, and is more for your benefit. 0211 screening is a personality evaluation and really they just want to see what kind of person you are and how you comport yourself on deployments. Basically the minimum starting point is being a top 10% Marine...once that has been established they evaluate your compatibility with the MOS (great Marines may not necessarily be appropriate for that field). Just do your best at where ever you end up, stay away from drugs and underage drinking situations, manage your finances smartly, apply yourself physically, and be the best at whatever MOS you land in and you'll have a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BGW View Post

This. LAT moving is already a mythical thing of sorts, something of an urban legend. In my time in, I have only seen top echelon NCO's be afforded the chance to lat move. Not trying to put you down, but the odds that you'll be allowed to lat move (most likely) as a Lance over some Staffer are slim to none.

Well it may be easier to LAT move within your battalion but there is no guarantee an 0231 will get stationed at 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Intel Bn (where the companies are). The 0211 MOS requires a LAT move for anyone to get into, so its a little bit easier to pull off going into 0211 than if you just have a change of heart and want to get out of your current job LAT into some other random MOS. That being said, you can be insta-denied a LAT move request if the your current MOS satisfies a critical requirement to the Marine Corps.

There's a CI Company at their respective intel battalions, there will always be a need for 0211's.

Doesn't hurt to get your clearance knocked out if you go 0231.

Thread Information