Feeling pretty lost, in need of direction and general advice
Create Post

Feeling pretty lost, in need of direction and general advice

The title basically describes it. I'll try to sum this up with the best amount of brevity I can manage while being accurate.

I joined the Marine Corps as 0861 (artillery scout observer) in 2008 in a career move that I knew I wanted. Long story short, over the course of the next year and a half, long runs and humps with heavy packs destroyed my knees to the point to where I could hardly function and spent many nights and weekends in the barracks due to the intense pain in my knees.

Got the run-around from medical the whole time, was diagnosed with Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome, very little could be done for my knees in the way of surgery as not much showed up on tests, was eventually pushed up for a MEB, but was then discharged honorably with JFV1 separation code, RE-3P reenlistment code in mid-2010.
    I moved back to my home state, worked for a few months, then moved up north to Canada to be with a girl I'd met online randomly after visiting a few times. Since being back in the 1st Civ Div, I've held a few jobs at grocery stores, restaurants, a bike shop, and now a bank. I'm doing very well at the jobs and am being praised for my quality of work constantly, but I'm so horribly depressed and don't feel engaged at all. All I can think about is rejoining the US military in some form or another. That's where I was the most happy. I felt like I was serving my purpose and doing the things I wanted to do. I have no sense of direction and can't seem to find anything that engages me and have been trying to find something in college to major in with no luck. Another Marine who was born here suggests trying to join back up with the Reserves.

My knees still ache and pain me from time to time, especially when I run with a heel strike, though I have started using minimalist shoes like Merrell Trail Gloves and have more recently started running 2-3 times a week for a mile or more with no aggravation, and even ran just shy of 5k for the first time in almost 3 years a week and a half ago. Other working out with moderate weights has been done with no pain (and actually seemed to improve my knees.) Running in boots would wreck me for sure, however.

Does anyone have any advice for me here? I'm feeling completely lost and have been for the last couple of years. It's just becoming overwhelming.

TL;DR: Joined USMC in early 2008, Hon. discharge in mid-2010 (JFV1/RE-3P)due to knee injuries from overuse, held numerous civ jobs but can't find direction or engagement. Knees are now better, but not 100%. Very depressed and needing reenlistment/life advice.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by E4B0861 View Post
    The title basically describes it. I'll try to sum this up with the best amount of brevity I can manage while being accurate.
    over the course of year and a half, long runs and humps with heavy packs destroyed my knees
    very little could be done for my knees in the way of surgery,
    not much showed up on tests,
    discharged honorably with JFV1 separation code, RE-3P reenlistment code in mid-2010.
    moved up north to Canada to be with a girl I'd met
    Since being back in the 1st Civ Div, ,
    I've held a few jobs at grocery stores, restaurants, a bike shop, and now a bank. #7 ,
    I'm doing very well at the jobs and am being praised for my quality of work constantly.
    I'm so horribly depressed and don't feel engaged at all.
    All I can think about is rejoining the US military in some form or another. That's where I was the most happy. I felt like I was serving my purpose and doing the things I wanted to do.
    I have no sense of direction and can't seem to find anything that engages me and have been trying to find something in college to major in with no luck.
    Another Marine who was born here suggests trying to join back up with the Reserves.
    My knees still ache and pain me from time to time, especially when I run .
    though I have started using minimalist shoes like Merrell Trail Gloves and have more recently started running 2-3 times a week for a mile or more with no aggravation,
    and even ran just shy of 5k for the first time in almost 3 years a week and a half ago.
    Other working out with moderate weights has been done with no pain (and actually seemed to improve my knees.) Running in boots would wreck me for sure, however.
    Does anyone have any advice for me here?
    I'm feeling completely lost, have been for the last couple of years. ,
    It's just becoming overwhelming.
    Hon. discharge (JFV1/RE-3P)due to knee injuries from overuse,

Knees are now better, ,

but not 100%.

Very depressed and needing reenlistment/

/life advice.

First things first, SemperFidelis young brother.

Don't ever let anyone compliment you for your brevity,
    i almost ran out of breath reading your question.

You're wanting someone here to tell you to try and Re-Join,
    the MILITARY. RE ENLIST, perhaps.???

Some of us oldfarts aren't UserFriendly, -likeable, or even civil,
    -under the best of circumstances.

Do what you gotta do to survive i guess

But , you aren't going to stop Bytching and Moaning,
    untill you try getting back in to something Military.

Success in that objective may be your solution ? ,
    Failure of that objective may have other consequences that will require,
    adjustment to your thinking and/or way of life.

( Start helping a Local BoyScout Unit ) in the meantime.
    LEADING by example , may well help while you wait ,
    for your "ReEnlistment Bus" to get to the station.

Good Luck and SemperFidelis

Try paying it forward by helping other people. May I suggest volunteering with a local Young Marines unit teaching kids who want to be Marines by living the lifestyle now. They can use your knowledge, and it will keep you connected while you work on your rehab. You may be prepping a young person for becoming an outstanding Marine.
    My son was a Young Marine, and is now a US Marine. It is a worthwhile program.
    Good luck with your rehab, and Semper Fi

Good luck re-enlisting with a 3P, is not going to happen! That is for any branch of the service, maybe you can be an enlisted advisor for JROTC or young Marines as listed above!

Good Luck
    Maurice

Thread Information