Does the USMC pay for college?
Create Post

Does the USMC pay for college?

If you wanted to join the Marines, would they pay for you to go to school? This isn't the only reason I'd join, I'm just wondering. If not, I was thinking about college and then enlisting in the Marines after.

Similar Threads:

Thread closed untill you have a complete profile....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. When your profile is complete, PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum and thread will be re-opened.

Profile filled out.....thread re-opened.

Thank you Mam'. You're a squad leader, do you have any input or helpful information you could kindly offer concerning my question?

Your best bet is to talk with a recruiter face to face and get the most up to date info.

EDUCATION

An Investment in Each Marine

Education and knowledge are not just highly valued in the workplace, they also help strengthen our nation's communities and economy. That's why the Marine Corps makes sure that every Marine has the ability to pursue their educational objectives. During Service: As a Marine, up to 100 percent of your education expenses may be paid by the federal government through programs like Tuition Assistance, the Post 9-11 GI Bill and the Marine Corps College Fund. Select Marines may earn a degree through the College Degree Program, which has both a four- and two-year option. Both options cover the cost of tuition, fees, textbooks and uniforms at certain selected colleges and universities. In addition, Marine Corps Officers have the opportunity to earn Master's Degrees and law degrees under the Advanced Degree Program, Special Education Program and Funded Law Program, all of which are partially funded by the Marine Corps. After Service: These education benefits extend well beyond active duty and are awarded based on the number of years served and the specific education program in which you enroll. In some cases, the benefits may also be transferred to your spouse or child. Request more information and talk to a recruiter for specific questions about financial aid or educational opportunities in the Corps.

http://www.marines.com/being-a-marin...FITS_EDUCATION

Marine Corps Education Programs
    http://www.military.com/education/mo...-programs.html

Marine Corps Tuition Assistance Program
    http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...blmarineta.htm

I can give you my personal experience. I completed both my AA and BS degrees while on active duty and never paid a penny for either (used tuition assistance). This was never going to college fulltime so it meant classes at night and on weekends for several years. It meant different schools, transferring credits, and not having some credits transfer. Duty always comes first so it meant missing many classes and having to make those classes up as best I could. It meant breaks in school due to deployments or other training. It's a long arduous road recquiring lots of sacrifices but pays off in the end; I'm confident completing the degrees helped when it came promotion time. My best friend did the same thing and we are both alumni of Southern Illinois University.

Good luck.

Thank you, that'd be awesome, to be able to enlist and do classes to get a BS through the Marines and shoot for Recon or something in the process or after. Thank you again.

I'll give you the Reservist side of college education

0 deployments, state financial aide paid for all but about $400 of my tuition at a state university (full time), and I get around $800/mo for expenses/housing during school. Summer and between semesters, I get $0. Thats the chapter 1606, 4 dependents (may differ if you're single)

The short answer is 'Yes'. The longer answer is, if you enlist, you'll be a Marine first, and a student, second. Never forget that, because the Marine Corps won't.

Because of the amount of training they do, combined with their deployment tempo, I doubt being a Recon Ranger is conducive to off duty education. Some MOS's offer more time for school than others; recon is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Because of the amount of training they do, combined with their deployment tempo, I doubt being a Recon Ranger is conducive to off duty education. Some MOS's offer more time for school than others; recon is not one of them.
    So mabey get the credits and stuff done first, then apply for some Special Unit.

Thread Information