Canadian interested in becoming a Marine
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Canadian interested in becoming a Marine

My name is Austin, I am currently living in Newfoundland, Canada. However for many years now I've been interested in becoming a Marine. I received my US citizenship last year, through my mother who was born in Texas. Right now, I am a part of the Canadian Army Reserves, finishing my last year of high-school. Next year I plan on taking the plunge, and enlisting, if at all possible. But I have several questions before that.

1) First of all, am I even eligible to enlist?
    2) Do I need to stay in the U.S for the entire time I'm waiting to be sent to MEPS or shipped to boot camp?
    3) Does prior military service with Canada affect enlisting in anyway?

Any additional information about Canadians enlisting in the Marines, would also be a great help. I appreciate it!

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BoweringAW View Post
    My name is Austin, I am currently living in Newfoundland, Canada. However for many years now I've been interested in becoming a Marine. I received my US citizenship last year, through my mother who was born in Texas. Right now, I am a part of the Canadian Army Reserves, finishing my last year of high-school. Next year I plan on taking the plunge, and enlisting, if at all possible. But I have several questions before that.

1) First of all, am I even eligible to enlist?
    2) Do I need to stay in the U.S for the entire time I'm waiting to be sent to MEPS or shipped to boot camp?
    3) Does prior military service with Canada affect enlisting in anyway?

Any additional information about Canadians enlisting in the Marines, would also be a great help. I appreciate it!
    1. You need to be a permanent resident (hold a Green Card) or be a US Citizen to enlist. You're a citizen, so that simplifies that.

2. You have to live in the US, although you can visit family. Recruiters can only deal with people with US addresses.

3. It has no effect as long as you are lawfully discharged from service with the US equivalent of an Honorable Discharge. You will still have to go through boot camp, SOI, and all the rest.

Thread Information