Allergies While at OCS, What I Could Bring To Help, Barrack Conditions?
Create Post

Allergies While at OCS, What I Could Bring To Help, Barrack Conditions?

Hello, I have contracted and will soon be going up in front of the November board for the upcoming January class of OCS. I run a 296 PFT hopefully a 300 before October 20th when I run my board PFT. All in all I am quite healthy except I have occasional mild asthma that is induced by an allergy to dust/dustmites. I did get my waiver through for the asthma after passing 2 pulmonary tests.

My question is, sleeping in new places, especially if they are dusty or dank, can occasionally bring up breathing problems for me. Sleeping in the barracks during OCS is my primary concern. Just to clarify, this is brought on my dust not activity, running and being out in the air actually helps significantly if I encounter breathing problems due to allergies.

Thankfully this allergic reaction can be prevented by over the counter drugs like Claritin, Allegra, Benadryl etc... I have tried finding this information elsewhere but I haven't been able to. Is it realistic to plan on bringing Benadryl or Claritin etc. to OCS and just taking it daily before heading to sleep?

Thank you for your time,

Very Respectfully,

Dan

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I will keep it short and simple...

The Barracks are old and nasty, the racks/mattresses you'll sleep on are even worse. And when it comes to taking medication before you go to sleep....well you really don't sleep at OCS, its more like laying down and shutting your eyes for a few hours

Thanks for the information. Just to clarify, is something like Claritin/Benadryl considered contraband?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I can't answer that, bring that up with your OSO

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Medication. Over-the-counter medication is not allowed during training. If you bring any with you, it will be taken away.

All prescription medication will be re-evaluated by a military doctor upon arrival. If the doctor determines that the prescription is necessary, the civilian medication will be taken away, and the recruit will be re-issued the medication by the military pharmacy.

Thread Information