Glasses during Boot Camp
Create Post

Glasses during Boot Camp

I was wondering if wearing glasses got in the way of things a lot in Boot Camp. Im considering getting laser eye correction surgery, but didn't know if that would get me DQ'ed in MEPS.

Thanks for your time.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Do you know how many Recruits wear glasses in Boot Camp ? ALOT.
    Don't take any chances with eye surgery and potential complications.
    You can get it done down the line.
    Wear the glasses, you'll be fine.

Step 1. Get in the DEP first....

Take Rocky C's advice, DO NOT get lasik eye surgery before boot camp.

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission

Eyes and Vision
    Updated June 10, 2009

The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard. The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver) are an authenticated history of:

Refractive Eye Surgery
    This includes (but is not limited to) a history of lamellar surgury, penetrating keratoplasty, LASEK, and LASIK.
    Radial Keratotomy and Astigmatic Keratotomy is disqualifying.
    LASEK and LASIK is disqualifying if any of the following conditions are present:
    (1) Pre-surgury refractive error in either eye exceeds + 8.00 to - 8.00 diopters.

(2) At least 6 months recovery period has not occurred between last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and MEPS medical examination.

(3) There have been complications, and/or medications or ophthalmic solutions are required.

(4) Post-surgical refraction in each eye is not stable as demonstrated by (a) At least two separate refractions at least one month apart, the most recent of which demonstrates more than +/- 0.50 diopters difference for spherical vision and/or more than +/- 0.25 diopters for cylinder vision; and (b) At least 3 months recovery has not occurred between the last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and one of the comparison refractions.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...ary/a/eyes.htm

Thanks for the information. Glad that I asked that on here before going any farther with it.

Instead of BCG's they issue you some hipster glasses.

I was the last company through san diego to get BCG's. You young bucks will never know our pain.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW2011 View Post

I was the last company through san diego to get BCG's. You young bucks will never know our pain.
    Bet they were the same frames and lenses we had in the 60s; butt ugly and break at the drop of a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW2011 View Post

Says Boot McGee.

DWG, they've toughened up the BCGs since then...and now they're gone. These new ones they've begun issuing aren't quite as ugly, but they're definitely as fragile as the ones you got. I'm pretty sure the new ones will break if dropped. Also, apparently they've decided to start issuing a tinted pair as well. Ray Charles, anyone?

Thread Information