Why hello there, I am new
Create Post

Why hello there, I am new

So two things right off the bat; First, I am new, and yes I want to be a Marine. What is holding me back? my weight. I have dropped 60 pounds, but I need sixty more to go ( from 358 to 248 for 6'4 height -I think thats it-) and without that weight I could probably do more than just two chin ups. Good news, I still have eight months before I can enter by myself.
    Second, I have a (few) question(s). Is it possible to earn E-3 from E-2 in boot? I heard there is an 11 step process for eating in Boot. Can you pass Boot with having good Chin ups (estimated at 10)and great sit ups (100 in two minutes), but an average run time ( my 1.5 right now is hitting 13 flat)? Can you go from 03's to DI? can you go from 03's to Navy Corpsman? can you go from 03's to R&D? I've been reading up a lot on recruiting, is it possible to lock in your MOS past the general ( instead of 03--, it would be 0331), and if you can, how hard is it? How hard is it to save up money in the Corps? Are the re-enlistment bonuses worth it/ would it be better just to go all out and sign up for the full thirty ( thats my plan- stay in for ten years, re-enlist w/ bonus, stay again for ten years -hopefully earning a commision- re-enlist for anothe ten years with bonus, retire with the money I have saved and pension.)?
    Also- Is being a Sea Cadet really going to give me a leg up or should I drop it and use the cash to get a gym membership?

Credits
    Savings
    Wishing won't do it,, ,
    while you're pushing yourself away from the donuts,,, ,
    fill out your profile .

In the meantime,

adopt a PROPER DIET

and perhaps, contact a Marine Recruiter for a "workout routine" ,
    maybe you should be working on

Thread will be locked until you fill out your profile. You can contact any Squad Leader to unlock the thread once your profile is completed. You should also try to use the search function on this website. There is a lot of information here for you, but you are requesting a lot of information all on one thread.

Profile filled out......thread re-opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Unsure View Post
    Is it possible to earn E-3 from E-2 in boot?

I heard there is an 11 step process for eating in Boot.

Can you pass Boot with having good Chin ups (estimated at 10)and great sit ups (100 in two minutes), but an average run time ( my 1.5 right now is hitting 13 flat)?

Can you go from 03's to DI?

can you go from 03's to Navy Corpsman?

can you go from 03's to R&D?

I've been reading up a lot on recruiting, is it possible to lock in your MOS past the general ( instead of 03--, it would be 0331), and if you can,

how hard is it?

How hard is it to save up money in the Corps?

Are the re-enlistment bonuses worth it/ would it be better just to go all out and sign up for the full thirty ( thats my plan- stay in for ten years, re-enlist w/ bonus, stay again for ten years -hopefully earning a commision- re-enlist for anothe ten years with bonus, retire with the money I have saved and pension.)?

Also- Is being a Sea Cadet really going to give me a leg up or should I drop it and use the cash to get a gym membership?
    11 questions in one paragraph.

Good luck

Future Unsure.....I'll chime in quickly.

I'm going to be blunt but I don't mean to discourage you.
    You have the tail waging the horse just a bit here with all these questions when you still have some real work cut out for you.
    Continue to deal with that weight problem.

IMO...you need to focus on whether you can qualify to be a Marine first.
    Here's a link where we've tried to help others:
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ysically-Ready

Do the reading, adhere to the discipline, stay consistent.
    Note: losing about 2 pounds a week is a safe way to lose weight.

Hope that helps....good luck and carry on.

I know I have some work to go, but that's not why I posted it.
    I am on a good diet (no dairy, no processed foods, no added sugars.) and I am working out (doing the MARSOC short card every day, but step 21 -the pull ups- takes me a half hour to do.) and I'm begging ing a new workout for a three mile run.( because my HS has a nice track, what I'm going to be doing is for the first two weeks, I am going to run two timed laps -1/2mile- then the next two weeks I'll run 3 lap, and so on until I'm running three miles.)

The reason why I put up all of these questions is that I have been scouring the Internet for a good part of a year and asking any Marine I might meet, and these are literally all of the questions I have left. Hope that helps. :/

Last edited by Lisa 23; 10-02-12 at 02:57 PM.

Well...you should be able to get most/all of your inquiries answered here.

Sounds like your on the right track.

As a side bar I wouldn't consider eliminating 'dairy' products but that's your judgment call for your personal reasons.

Stay tough and good luck in becoming one of 'The Few...'.

and these are literally all of the questions I have left.
    I would hate to see the list you started with.

The problem is that you are all over the board. We are here to help people who want to join, we are not here to be your personal 8 ball. Bottom line is do you want to be a Marine or a Navy Corpsman, do you want to be a Marine or a R&D (whatever that is).

Asking about reenlistment bonus before you have A) joined or B) done some time -- is a waste of time.

Nothing you're told now about bonuses will be the same 4 or 5 years from now when it's time for you to reenlist ---- ASSuming you go in, make it through your first contract - and are eligible to reenlist.

I would stop scouring the Internet, PT more, and go speak to a local recruiter. The Internet is full of sea lawyers and people who don't really know. Go to a recruiter and there you will get hard facts to all your questions.

One last thing, sea cadets are fine for people looking for some direction, or to go in the Navy; however, if you want to be a Marine I would look into a Young Marine Detachment in your area.

Good luck

I want to be a Marine, that's no doubt. Just a wee bit nervous. Plus I'd be lying if a Corpsman isn't a BA.
    R&D means research and development. Basically the guys who make the new gear.(not entirely sure if this is an official MOS or not.)
    I apologize for making you feel like an 8 ball, it was not my intention. And yes, that list was quite long.

The reason why I joined the local Sea Cadet unit is because I talked to somebody who had been in both and who had said that the Sea Cadet unit is more intense that the local Young Marines.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 10-02-12 at 02:52 PM.

The reason why I joined the local Sea Cadet unit is because I talked to somebody who had been in both and who had said that the Sea Cadet unit is more intense that the local Young Marines.
    Well, that is interesting since the Sea Cadet program that's on the campus I work at is, well, intense would be the last word I use.

Check out this link, it's in your area http://www.youinweb.com/profiles/953..._360907032.htm

BTW, I am not that familiar with Cali -- which Sea Cadet unit are you, or were you with?

http://dolphin.seacadets.org/US_unit...asp?stateid=ca

Whether you know it or not, there is a curfew here on Leatherneck for all wannabees and poolees who are still in high school for being in chat and on the forums.

Curfew during school nights.......and during school hours
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...471#post879471

This is NOT permitted during school hours!

NO wannabee or poolee should be on Leatherneck during school hours....period! If you are found to be on Leatherneck during school hours, whether it be on the forums or in chat, will find themselves for a period to be determined away from Leatherneck.

School comes first! Whatever questions that you may have can wait until you're home from school.

I think the kid can handle his personal life. Anyways, Sea Cadets and Young Marines are in my opinion pretty stupid. Nothing you do there will prepare you for boot camp.

As for the onslaught of questions you have. DI is a B-billet, meaning you can choose, or get voluntold to do it if and when you re-enlist. No, you do not get to pick your specific MOS unless you're a reservist. You have to join the Navy to be a Corpsman. The rest I'm not even going to bother with because they're idiotic.

PNW2011 how about you fill out your profile properly, and maybe respond to a pm or two.

Thanks I appreciate it. And yeah, I understand how weird some of my questions/ideas can be. But I digress, thank you for the help. I'm doing Sea cadets to make sure that I want to be in the military. So far, with two active duty Ssgts as my CO and XO its been fairly intense. Nowhere near the horror stories I've heard of Bootcamp, but I also heard its harder than the other JROTC's near me.

Thread Information