A few questions from a civi
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

A few questions from a civi

First and foremost thank you for your past, present, and future service! I seriously am thankful that people like y'all are serving our country while I get to enjoy the luxury of freedom, so the least I could do is put you before my question and thank you.

Now to start off I'm seeing that you obviously have a ton of stupid questions on here.

Here's my rundown:
    No criminal record
    No tattoos / piercings
    No medical / mental issues
    No wife / kids
    High school diploma, with some college
    And no question I have always wanted to join the Marines.

The problem is that I put myself before my country, I didn't want to join up because I thought I would miss out on my "social" life which I regret that decision everyday...

I still have the drive to serve my country, so I became a Deputy Sheriff. Fast forward today, I'm 23 out of shape and overweight...

I'm about 5-11 and 250 lbs...

So on to the question, can anyone offer advice on what I can to to get into "Marine Corps" shape and ready for boot camp.

Any advice is appreciated, and I'm not expecting your entire exercise regiment and meal plan but whatever you can share.

Credits
    Savings
    First things first,and it's small potatoes,

FNG is a term "Lovingly Used elsewhere"

we think you mean " civilian" -no big deal
    first as a LEO, learn to push yourself AWAY from the Donuts

(End of Humor)

you have to be serious on this... ,
    there's plenty of help in the forums on Leatherneck here, Only limited by the time
    you have to spend looking and reading,.

Also,, as most others will tell you here.

IF you're serious,, Contact a USMC recruiter asap, and let them,
    help you ... you're not only out against the clock,,

Doing NOTHING , is the same as going in reverse.

you won't even be spinning your wheels

PS Good Luck.

now, move your a$$

Last edited by Lisa 23; 09-28-12 at 06:40 AM. Reason: language

Credits
    Savings
    Clear, I'll be on it first thing Monday morning.

Do a search. There are a ton of threads about weight loss and getting in shape for bootcamp. Your recruiter will be able to give you some ideas as well (they see it all the time).

Let us know how your visit goes. You have a huge challenge ahead but the most important step is the first one. Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    After a more careful search and looking into the archives I found some good threads to get me started.A 1750 calorie / day diet will be tough but not nearly as tough as what Marines face in battle, so no room to complain about it.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 09-28-12 at 05:12 PM. Reason: language

Just like most things worthwhile in life, it will mean a lot of sacrafice on your part. Keep your eyes on the prize at the end of the road and focused on your goals. Plenty have travelled the exact same path before and succeeded.

Credits
    Savings
    Much appreciated!

Now that's out of the way and getting taken care of, on to my next question.

I'm sure every up and coming kid wants to be Marine Force Recon, or Scout Snipers... Truth be told I just want to be your standard issue infantryman. Now I see people have jobs like clerks and such like a Monday - Friday 8 - 5 jobs, what does an infantryman do during "peace time", or on base not currently deployed, obviously you're not fighting enemy combatants on base in the US, so do infantrymen take on other jobs?

Officer: Have you been drinking sir? Your eyes are red.
    Reply: Have you been eating donuts sir? Your eyes are glazed.

Weight loss is conceptually very simple. Burn more calories than you consume and you'll lose weight (to the tune of 1 lb. per 3500 calorie deficit). That's sometimes easier said than done, as fat storage is a survival technique your body implements to preserve usable fuel. If you seriously alter your intake, your body alters your metabolism to match your intake and it becomes difficult to drop weight. You should counter this with strength training (to elevate metabolism) and cardiovascular exercise (to burn calories). Also, a 1750 calorie diet for a 250 lb guy is a massive restriction. I'm not telling you not to do it, but you should eat nutrient packed and protein heavy foods to give your body the fuel it needs to function. Also, tons of water consumption will help stave off hunger. And quit drinking soda.

As to your second inquiry, there's nothing "standard" about being a Marine Rifleman. The rest of the Marine Corps exists to support that MOS. It's the tip of the spear in the most elite and forward deployed branch of our country's armed forces. As to their normal duties, they spend a bulk of their time in CONUS training and improving their proficiency in the tasks they're exptected to perform in combat situations.

Quote Originally Posted by FNG Civilian View Post
    Much appreciated!

Now that's out of the way and getting taken care of, on to my next question.

I'm sure every up and coming kid wants to be Marine Force Recon, or Scout Snipers... Truth be told I just want to be your standard issue infantryman. Now I see people have jobs like clerks and such like a Monday - Friday 8 - 5 jobs, what does an infantryman do during "peace time", or on base not currently deployed, obviously you're not fighting enemy combatants on base in the US, so do infantrymen take on other jobs?
    Grunts are always training, war games, time at sea training for amphibious assaults, time in class, more training when back at garrison, Marines never stop training,, ever..

MAKE SURE YOU LOOSE WEIGHT THE RIGHT WAY> What I SUGGEST IS HAVE A THUROUGH EXAM BY YOUR DR AND LET HIM DECIDE WHAT TYPE OF A DIET YOU SHOULD BE ON

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Credits
    Savings
    I've got a great dietition in my area and will make an appointment after my recruiter visit

Credits
    Savings
    Carefull what you wish for.

You may just get it.

Credits
    Savings
    Motivation and determination are my fuel, if I ran on hopes and dreams I'd join the Airforce

Go to your local recruiting station and they will usually set up a good excersize plan with you to help you get back in shape if you're serious.

Credits
    Savings
    Talked to my recruiter, no bs Marine, bad a** Marine. We have goals set up, got some diet and exercise advice from him.

Now I just signed up for the local gym and luck has it the trainer here is a Marine, and he's willing to help me get into Marine shape.

I'm hyped up and ready to shread this weight so I can enlist!

Last edited by Lisa 23; 10-02-12 at 06:59 AM.

Thread Information