Enlisted to Officer
Create Post

Enlisted to Officer

Marines,

Question about enlsited to officer process. I am working with an oso right now and hope to get into OCS on the first go but understand my chances. Particularly those of you who have gone through the process or have experience as recruiters, are chances better for me enlisting and applying a year later given I do not make it on the first go with 290+ PFT?(i have 95 asvab and 3.5gpa)? I will have my bachelors this next summer and want to join you asap. I don't care how I get there but I want to serve in he corps. I appreciate your input

thanks

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    No, no, and no!!...enlisting is not a stepping stone to become an officer. As hard as getting an OCS(especially OCC) slot is right now, getting an ECP(enlisted commissioning program) slot is that much harder.

If your ultimate goal is to become an officer do NOT bother with enlisting, especially if you are within a few semesters of graduating.

It kind of sucks right now too, being that you are so close to graduating you would have to go to OCS via. OCC(officers candidate course) which is for college graduates. The problem is OCC does not have any active duty seats available until 2014. PLC(platoon leaders course) is the only option that has active duty seats, but you have to be a freshmen/sophomore in college to be eligible for a PLC seat at OCS.

If you don't mind waiting about 6-8 years, you could always enlist and when you become eligible (normally around Sergeant/Staff Sergeant rank), apply to the Warrant Officer program. You would not have a commission but would be an officer nonetheless. Can't comment on how competitive being selected is compared to the commissioning programs but know from personal experience how difficult it is (I applied four consecutive years and was never selected obviously). Just a thought.

Thread Information